(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 132)
This Slow Cooker Baked Oatmeal with coconut is a variation of the Crock Pot Baked Oatmeal I made several weeks ago.
I got the inspiration from a recipe for Coconut Oatmeal Muffins over on Baking Bites.
I love coconut and oatmeal, so combining the two seemed like a great idea.
And as I was scanning the recipe, I realized that the muffin and baked oatmeal ingredients were almost identical, except for the flour and coconut.
Since I loved the last batch of crock pot baked oatmeal so much, I decided to just add 1 cup of shredded coconut to it for science.
Voilà – slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut, which I enjoyed most every morning last week.
I like traditional porridge-like oatmeal just fine.
But I LOVE the texture of baked oatmeal better. It’s more like eating a moist dense muffin or cake, than traditional hot cereal.
It’s a moister, denser version of one of my all-time favorite cakes, the Quaker Oats Oatmeal Cake, which I regularly requested as my birthday cake when I was a kid
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk (I used vanilla coconut milk beverage)
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal (old-fashioned or quick oats, not instant)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2 to 3-Quart
- Coat the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, applesauce, brown sugar, salt, and eggs until well blended and creamy. Whisk in the milk.
- Add the oats, baking powder and coconut and stir until well mixed.
- Pour into your greased slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours, until the edges are golden brown and the center is set. (Mine was done in 4 hours.)
- Serve hot or let it stand in the slow cooker for up to an hour and then cut it into pieces for serving.
If you liked slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.