WW Recipe of the Day: Low Calorie Ground Turkey Sausage & Veggie Breakfast Scramble Freezer Meal
(204 calories | 5 5 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I am thrifty and find it hard to pass up a bargain. Now that I’m making healthy Freezer meals, I can save money buying items on sale. Then in under an hour, I can create a variety of meals to have later without any cooking ahead of time. It really is a great way to save both time and money.
This past week I found an unbeatable sale on fresh ground turkey, so I bought several pounds. When I got home I simply diced up fresh veggies, opened a few cans and created 6 different low calorie ground turkey Freezer Meals.
I love to use beans and vegetables to bulk up a pound of ground meat. This is the perfect way to stretch your dollars and your Weight Watchers points.
This recipe calls for ground turkey, but you can substitute ground chicken or pork. Once thawed, this can be cooked in a skillet on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Make-Ahead Breakfast?
According to my calculations, each 3/4-cup serving has about 204 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Assemble this Breakfast Freezer Meal
Step 1: Prepare the Vegetables
Microwave the potato until softened. Place cooked potato in the freezer to cool (about 5-10 minutes). When potato is cool enough to handle, dice into 1-inch pieces. Alternatively, substitute shredded potatoes, frozen hash browns or even diced up frozen french fries for the diced potato.
Chop the spinach and pepper.
Step 2: Label & Add Ingredients to ZipLock Freezer Bag
Label and date a Quart-size freezer bag using a magic marker, paper and tape, or whatever you have available.
This is how I labeled my freezer bag:
“Turkey Breakfast Sausage Scramble” (add date it was prepared)
- Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to skillet
- Sauté 10-12 minutes, medium-high (or until meat is done)
First measure out 1 pound of ground turkey:
Add Breakfast Sausage Spice along with fennel seeds and salt to your ground turkey and mix well with clean hands:
Add seasoned ground turkey sausage to freezer bag.
Next, add chopped red pepper, chopped spinach and diced potatoes to freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag (in order to help prevent ice crystals from forming) and then seal the bag.
Lay the bag flat in the freezer, at least until hardened.
Helpful Tips When Making This Breakfast Scramble
I find it works best to keep the turkey to one side of the skillet until cooked. This allows you to crumble the meat with a spoon without mashing the potatoes.
If you have a microwave sensor to bake potatoes, stop it when there is approximately 1 minute left. You want the potato to be softened yet firm enough to cut into 1-inch pieces.
Substitute shredded potatoes, frozen hash browns, or even diced up frozen french fries in place of the diced potatoes in this recipe.
Add diced onions, mushrooms or any other vegetable you have around.
Make this a vegetarian breakfast by substituting your favorite meatless veggie crumbles for the ground turkey.
How Long Does This Freezer Meal Have To Thaw Before Cooking?
You’ll want to plan ahead before cooking this breakfast scramble. Remove the bag from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before cooking on the stove top, or in a slow cooker.
How to Cook This Freezer Meal
Place the freezer bag in the refrigerator and allow it to thaw for 24 hours before cooking this breakfast scramble. Once completely thawed, empty any excess water from the bag. Spray a skillet with nonstick spray and add contents to the skillet.
If found it best to try and keep the turkey on one side of the skillet until cooked. This way I could easily crumble the meat without mashing the potatoes!
When the meat is completely cooked, stir to combine all the ingredients.
Remove skillet from the heat, place breakfast scramble on small plate or bowl and serve.
How Can I Serve This Breakfast Skillet?
- Serve this alongside 2 eggs (any style)
- Roll it in a tortilla for a quick and easy breakfast burrito
- Top your breakfast scramble with black beans, salsa and an egg for a low calorie version of huevos rancheros
- Stir it into zero point scrambled eggs
- Use it as an omelet filling
- Add as a topping to avocado toast
What Can I Do With The Leftovers?
1. Make a tasty frittata:
- Add leftovers to a lightly greased non-stick, oven-proof skillet.
- Reheat on medium heat until warmed through.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Spread to make a thin layer over the bottom of the skillet.
- Whisk together 8 eggs in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to eggs.
- Pour beaten eggs over the top of the leftovers.
- Cover the skillet.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cover and top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- Turn broiler on high.
- Place skillet under broiler for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the eggs are firm.
- Turn the frittata out onto a plate.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
Serve a slice with a simple green salad for a low calorie lunch.
2. Make a soup Combine the leftovers with chicken broth, salsa and black beans. Top with sliced avocado.
3. Use as a taco or burrito filling: Mix breakfast scramble leftovers with pinto beans and cheese. Warm in skillet or microwave . Use as a taco or burrito filling. Top with diced tomatoes and cilantro.
4. Make a Crustless Quiche:
- Add 6 beaten eggs,
- A 16-ounce package of frozen spinach (thawed, drained and chopped), and
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese to a bowl.
Whisk until well blended. Stir in leftover scramble. Grease a 9-inch pie plate and add the mixture. Bake at 35F0 degrees for 35-40 minutes for a low calorie crustless quiche.
If you’ve made this Breakfast Scramble with Ground Turkey and Vegetables, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Ground Turkey & Veggie Breakfast Scramble Freezer Meal
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 tablespoon Breakfast Sausage Spice (Penzey's) or make your own sausage spice (see below)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper (either fresh or jarred and roasted)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 medium-large potato, diced into 1-inch pieces
DIY Breakfast Sausage Spice:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Prepare the Freezer Meal ingredients:
- Microwave the potato until softened. Put cooked potato in the freezer to cool (approximately 5-10 minutes).
- Dice potato into 1-inch pieces when cool enough to handle.
- Chop spinach and pepper.
- Label a Quart-size freezer bag using a marker, paper and tape, or whatever you have available.
- Add Breakfast Sausage Seasoning (or DIY spiced blend) along with fennel seeds and salt to ground turkey and mix well with clean hands. Add turkey mixture to the labeled freezer bag.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bag in the order listed (chopped red pepper, chopped spinach and diced potato).
- Remove as much air as possible (to help prevent ice crystals from forming) and seal the bag.
- Lay the bag flat in the freezer (at least until hardened).
Remove bag from freezer and thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours prior to cooking.
- When you're ready to cook: Lightly grease a nonstick skillet.
- Drain any excess water from thawed bag. Add contents of the bag to the skillet (keeping turkey to one side).
- Cook on medium/high heat for 15-20 minutes until meat is done.
- Stir to combine all ingredients in the skillet. Remove from heat and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Add contents of the thawed bag to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours, or until done.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this Egg-Free Breakfast Scramble Freezer Meal Idea, you might also like:
- Make-Ahead Freezer Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches (SkinnyishDish)
- Meal Prep Breakfast Taco Scramble (SkinnyTaste)
- 8 Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes (HungryGirl)
- Sausage & Butternut Squash Breakfast Casserole (SlenderKitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!