(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 132)
This Slow Cooker Baked Oatmeal with coconut is a variation of the Crock Pot Baked Oatmeal I made several weeks ago.
I got the inspiration from a recipe for Coconut Oatmeal Muffins over on Baking Bites.
I love coconut and oatmeal, so combining the two seemed like a great idea.
And as I was scanning the recipe, I realized that the muffin and baked oatmeal ingredients were almost identical, except for the flour and coconut.
Since I loved the last batch of crock pot baked oatmeal so much, I decided to just add 1 cup of shredded coconut to it for science.
Voilà – slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut, which I enjoyed most every morning last week.
I like traditional porridge-like oatmeal just fine.
But I LOVE the texture of baked oatmeal better. It’s more like eating a moist dense muffin or cake, than traditional hot cereal.
It’s a moister, denser version of one of my all-time favorite cakes, the Quaker Oats Oatmeal Cake, which I regularly requested as my birthday cake when I was a kid 🙂
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk (I used vanilla coconut milk beverage)
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal (old-fashioned or quick oats, not instant)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2 to 3-Quart
- Coat the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, applesauce, brown sugar, salt, and eggs until well blended and creamy. Whisk in the milk.
- Add the oats, baking powder and coconut and stir until well mixed.
- Pour into your greased slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours, until the edges are golden brown and the center is set. (Mine was done in 4 hours.)
- Serve hot or let it stand in the slow cooker for up to an hour and then cut it into pieces for serving.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker baked oatmeal with coconut calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.