Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day – Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal
I was surprised by how much I liked this crock pot apple oatmeal.
Most slow cooker oatmeal recipes call for steel cut oats, but this one specified rolled oats.
The Skinny on Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal
I wasn’t sure how the rolled oats would hold up in the crockpot for so many hours.
So instead of cooking them on LOW as the recipe specified, I let them cook overnight on WARM.
I think this was the right decision…
After about 7 hours, the rolled oats in this crock pot apple oatmeal were creamy and porridge-like. The edges were a little dry, but seemed to be fixed with the addition of milk stirred in at the end.
The apples retained a little crunch, so there was a nice contrast of flavors and textures with the apples, walnuts, and dried cranberries.
I made a couple more changes to suit my tastes.
I substituted maple syrup for honey.
And used my favorite coconut milk beverage in place of both the skim milk and fat-free half-and-half. (What is fat-free half-and-half, exactly?)
Rod is not a huge oatmeal fan. So, for breakfast this week, I’ve been reheating the leftovers with a splash of milk in the microwave.
Since I like my oatmeal on the sweet side, I also add another teaspoon of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.
This crock pot apple oatmeal is a very easy way to get in a hot breakfast on a busy morning. And we lifetime Weight Watchers all know how important that can be to our ongoing success 🙂
Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal
- 2 cups fat-free milk (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, rice, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dry old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped apples (peeled or not, whichever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, rice, etc.)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 2-Quart.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray. I used my 2-quart. (If you only have a 4-quart I would double the recipe and freeze some of the leftovers if necessary.)
- Combine the 2 cups of milk, maple syrup, butter, salt, cinnamon, oats, apples, cranberries and walnuts in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on WARM overnight, about 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup milk just before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for several days. They can be rewarmed in the microwave.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
If you liked this crock pot apple oatmeal recipe, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!