(Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cooking Day 71)
I have award winning chef Rick Bayless and his Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce to thank for the yummy shredded slow cooker beef barbacoa I made over the weekend.
Talk about easy and delicious.
The barbacoa I made with Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking sauce was full of flavor and so simple to make.
I just tossed a 2-pound frozen hunk of beef into the slow cooker along with a sliced onion and the packet of sauce and let it cook on low for about 8 hours.
And was rewarded with the most delicious beef barbacoa that we enjoyed in tacos for lunch Saturday and again for dinner last night.
Everyone agreed that it was very good. Flavorful, but not too spicy.
Truthfully, I had pretty low expectations given that I failed to follow the directions on the pouch of Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce, which called for adding a sliced red onion and browning the beef before slow cooking.
I used a white onion, since it was what I had. Skipped browning, since my chunk of beef was frozen. And hoped for the best.
Being an avid label reader, I was happy to discover that Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce is made with all natural ingredients: water, roasted tomato, apple cider vinegar, chipotle chiles in adobo, ancho chile, dark brown sugar, guajillo chile, salt, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano and cinnamon.
Each 2-tablespoon serving has just 15 calories, 0 g fat, 3 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein.
I’ll definitely pick up another packet of this delicious Frontera Barbacoa Slow-Cooking sauce to keep in the pantry for when I want another super easy and delicious barbacoa fix.
- 2 pounds of beef chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 pouch (8 ounces) Frontera Red Chile Barbacoa Beef Slow Cooking Sauce
- I used my 4-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Cut beef into chunks, brown in oil and add to slow cooker along with the slices of onion and sauce.
- Or if you are feeling really lazy, just put the raw beef, onions and sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until tender.
- Transfer the meat from the slow cooker to a rimmed baking sheet. Use two forks to pull the meat apart. Discard the fat. Place the shredded barbacoa beef in large bowl and ladle the cooking liquid over the top a few scoops at a time. (You want the meat to hold the liquid but not swim in it. You probably won’t need all the cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt.
- To keep the barbacoa warm, you can return the shredded beef to your slow cooker and keep it warm on the WARM setting.
- Serve with fresh tortillas, chopped onion, cilantro, and salsa.
If you liked this post about Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow Cooking Sauce you might also like:
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef from Scratch (Slender Kitchen)
Weight Watchers Italian Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Loin
*PointsPlus® for beef barbacoa made with Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Here’s what I used to make this easy Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef!