I cobbled this light macaroni and cheese with cauliflower recipe together for dinner recently from what I had around the house.
I was able to avoid making a trip out to the grocery store.
So, I saved time.
Go, me! (It doesn’t take much to thrill me. I’m a girl of simple pleasures.)
I was really happy with the way it turned out. Rod and Mom liked it too, which means I’ll definitely be making this light macaroni and cheese with cauliflower again.
I loved how the cauliflower helped to bulk up this macaroni and cheese, adding both texture and a subtle sweet flavor. Served with a big green salad, it made for a satisfying supper.
I added a little bacon, but you could easily skip it, making it work for a Meatless Monday.
- 8 ounces macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 10 ounces cauliflower florets (about 2-1/2 cups), cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 ounces fat free evaporated milk
- ¼ cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup shredded American cheese (2 ounces)
- 1-1/2 cups cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- .75 ounces chopped cooked bacon (I used 6 slices of fully cooked bacon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Dusting of paprika (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 F. degrees. Grease an oblong 11 x 7 inch baking dish and set it aside.
- Cook the macaroni in well salted water, according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last five minutes of cooking. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add the milk, American cheese and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, bacon, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Spread the light macaroni and cheese with cauliflower mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle lightly with the paprika if using. Bake until bubbly and beginning to turn golden on top, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with a tossed green salad, if desired.
If you liked this light macaroni and cheese with cauliflower recipe, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.