There was a time when fruit was the furthest thing from my mind when I thought of dessert. Maybe I’m finally growing up because I find myself, not only thinking of fruit, but serving it more and more.
There are so many things you can do with fruit to create simple and delicious desserts. These strawberries with red wine and cassis (black currant liquor) are a perfect example. The recipe comes from Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food, a great cookbook with a full chapter devoted to fruit desserts.
The Skinny on Strawberries with Red Wine and Cassis
We enjoyed these red wine and cassis soaked strawberries for dessert on Easter Sunday. Rod and I thought they were delicious, even though I somehow managed to leave out the tablespoon of shredded fresh mint. And my mom, who is not a red wine fan, thought they were good.
They’re perfect when you want a light, simple, easy and delicious spring/summer dessert that you can make in minutes and refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
Jacques suggests you serve them with cookies.
- 3 cups ripe strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced or quartered
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons creme de cassis (black currant liquor)
- ¾ cup fruity dry red wine (such as Merlot)
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- In a bowl, mix together the berries, sugar, liqueur, wine and mint. Serve or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours before serving.
- To serve, divide the berries and liquid evenly among 4 wine goblets and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Source Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food
*PointsPlus® for strawberries with red wine calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked strawberries with red wine you might also like:
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!