A simple dish of fiber-rich lentils, fresh mint and creamy goat cheese. I never would have thought of combining these ingredients into a salad if I hadn’t seen the recipe for this Lentil Salad with Mint and Goat Cheese featured in an early June issue of Weight Watchers Weekly.
Since then I’ve been wanting to give it a try. And I’m so glad I did. It’s a really nice change from the usual mayo-based side dishes and salads so popular this time of year.
The original recipe calls for cooking a cup of lentils, which isn’t a big deal, but does require 20 to 30 minutes of simmering. I used a package of Trader Joe’s steamed lentils I had in the refrigerator instead, turning this into a simple no-cook lentil salad recipe, perfect for summer.
(I’ve become a big fan of them since receiving a package when a friend was cleaning out her fridge before leaving for the summer, which I used to make a Camilla’s lemony lentil and quinoa salad.)
The only other change I made was adding a little dried tarragon. Next time I’m going to experiment with a little red wine or sherry vinegar. I hope you like this simple tasty dish as much as we did.
- 1 package (17.6 ounces) Trader Joe’s steamed lentils (2-1/2 cups)
- ¼ cup peeled and coarsely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 ounces semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
- Place the cooked lentils in a large bowl and use your fingers to gently separate them.
- Stir in the onion, mint, and tarragon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, sprinkle the goat cheese over the top of the salad.
If you liked this recipe and post for light and healthy Weight Watchers Lentil Salad with Fresh Mint and Goat Cheese, check out these links:
- Camilla’s lemony lentil and quinoa salad - light, healthy & delicious
- Alanna’s Summer Lentils – another great summer salad lentil salad filled with summer vegetables I can’t wait to try (A Veggie Venture)
- Alice Water’s Simple Lentil Salad – with several variations from her Art of Simple Food cookbook (The Daily Green)
- Lemony Lentil Salad with Salmon – another great no-cook main dish lentil salad (Eating Well)