Hearty, healthy and deliciously satisfying, my love affair with simple soups continues to deepen. I concocted this slow cooker soup with what I could pull together from the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. I was having a lazy day and wanted a quick and easy dinner that I could toss together in the slow cooker and would cook unattended without having to run to the supermarket for ingredients.
This lusciously satisfying soup/stew of black-eyed peas, greens, butternut squash, tomatoes and smoked turkey sausage was the result. It’s brimming with good-for-you vegetables and fiber.
I used frozen cooked black-eyed peas leftover from New Year’s, but feel free to substitute drained and rinsed canned instead. Everyone really enjoyed this simple soup served with fresh-from-the-bakery French bread and butter. Dinner really doesn’t have to be complicated to be good.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (frozen is okay)
- 3 cups cooked black eyed peas (2 15 ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups chopped greens (spinach, chard, collards or kale)
- 2 links (6 ounces) smoked chicken or turkey sausage, cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir and adjust seasonings (adding salt and pepper to taste) before serving.
- Add fresh chopped parsley if desired
Favorite Skinny & Delicious Black Bean Soup Recipes – from me as well as other blogs and websites with WW Points+ Values
Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Mushroom Barley Soup - hearty and delicious with 7 WW Points+
Slim & Healthy Cream of Broccoli & Cheese Soup - Rich, creamy and delicious with 7 WW Points+
Easy 5 Ingredient Baked Bean Soup – sweet, spicy and satisfying with just 5 ingredients and 5 WW Points+
Slow Cooker Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew – hearty, healthy, simple and delicious with just 5 WW Points+