Hearty, healthy and deliciously satisfying, my love affair with simple soups continues to deepen.
I concocted this black eyed pea slow cooker soup with what I could pull together from the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry.
I was having a lazy day and wanted a quick and easy dinner that I could toss together in the slow cooker and would cook unattended without having to run to the supermarket for ingredients.
This lusciously satisfying black eyed pea slow cooker soup with greens, butternut squash, tomatoes and smoked turkey sausage was the result. It’s brimming with good-for-you vegetables and fiber.
I used frozen cooked black-eyed peas leftover from New Year’s, to make this black eyed pea slow cooker soup but feel free to substitute drained and rinsed canned instead. Everyone really enjoyed this simple soup served with fresh-from-the-bakery French bread and butter.
Dinner really doesn’t have to be complicated to be good 🙂
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (frozen is okay)
- 3 cups cooked black eyed peas (2 15 ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups chopped greens (spinach, chard, collards or kale)
- 2 links (6 ounces) smoked chicken or turkey sausage, cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir and adjust seasonings (adding salt and pepper to taste) before serving.
- Add fresh chopped parsley if desired
If you liked this black eyed pea slow cooker soup, you might also like:
Favorite Skinny & Delicious Black Bean Soup Recipes – from me as well as other blogs and websites with WW Points+ Values
Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Mushroom Barley Soup – hearty and delicious with 7 WW Points+
Slim & Healthy Cream of Broccoli & Cheese Soup – Rich, creamy and delicious with 7 WW Points+
Easy 5 Ingredient Baked Bean Soup – sweet, spicy and satisfying with just 5 ingredients and 5 WW Points+
Slow Cooker Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew – hearty, healthy, simple and delicious with just 5 WW Points+
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This Recipe for Black Eyed Pea Slow Cooker Soup is featured on Slow Cooker from Scratch!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.