Do you love chocolate cake but not all the fat and calories?
But it’s possible to have your cake and eat it too if you focus on baking lightened up versions of your favorites.
I’ve gathered my favorite low fat chocolate cake recipes and included more great looking light and recipes for chocolate cakes and cupcakes from other blogs and websites for you.
If you tend to use boxed cake mixes, here are some modifications you can make baking chocolate cakes:
Ideas for Baking Low Fat Chocolate Cakes with a Cake Mix
1. Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box. Mom shared this recipe with me the other day, when I wanted a quick cake for dinner. I baked it in 2 8-inch square foil pans – one for us and one to share. To make it extra special I sprinkled each cake with about 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips before baking. It turned out moist and delicious.
2. Low Fat Chocolate Yogurt Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt and 1 cup water and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box.
(For either recipe each small serving (1/24th) of recipe has around 100 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein and 3 WW Points+ value. Not bad for something so sweet and delicious!)
My Favorite Chocolate Cake From Scratch:
My go to from scratch recipe for chocolate cake is the old time one from the back of the package of Hershey’s cocoa powder. It’s the chocolate cake my Mom always made and the one I turn to most often. Because it’s made with cocoa powder and a modest amount of oil, it’s a great way to satisfy your craving for chocolate cake without blowing your calorie bank.
I usually cut the recipe in half (which explains why the amounts look a little funny) but it’s worth it when you have a small family and find it dangerous to have too many tempting sweets around 🙂
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and until well combined.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until very smooth.
- Stir in the boiling water. (The batter will be thin.)
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pans set on wire racks for 10 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and set them on wire racks to cool completely.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Cake Recipes from other blogs and websites
- Healthy Chocolate Cake – with applesauce and egg whites. Each serving has 195 calories and 5 WW PointsPlus. From Recipe Girl.
- Weight Watchers Chocolate Sheet Cake – this moist and tasty chocolate cake is perfect on its own or ready for decorating. So much better than a boxed mix. Each serving has 6 WW PointsPlus Values. From Weight Watchers.
- Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes – a favorite flavor combination in lighter cupcakes with just 5 Points+ per cupcake found at LaaLoosh.
- Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes – with sugar free fat free chocolate pudding and pumpkin added. Each cupcake has 3 Points+. From Gina at SkinnyTaste.
- Double Dark Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – simple & delicious, yet oh so rich and satisfying with 6 WW PointsPlus Value from Nancy at Skinny Kitchen.
- 35-Second Mini Chocolate Microwave Cake – for the chocolate cake craving that won’t wait. 3 Points+ per serving. From Eating Well Living Thin
- Secret Healthy Chocolate Cake – with shredded zucchini instead of oil to keep it moist. Said to be just 100 calories per slice from Yammie’s Noshery.
- Secret Ingredient Chocolate Cake – made with canned beets. 6 WW Points+ per serving from Alanna at Kitchen Parade.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!