Black bean soup recipes come in all kinds of styles: mild or spicy; smooth or chunky; thick or thin; vegetarian or with meat.
You can make black bean soup from dried beans or canned.
In the slow cooker or on the stovetop.
The variations are endless so there’s something to please everyone.
My favorite at the moment uses canned black beans so it’s quick and easy.
I’ve also pulled together a collection of black bean soup recipes from around the Web, along with their nutrition and PointsPlus Value information for you.
The Skinny on Black Bean Soup Recipes
Low in fat, high in fiber, these black bean soup recipes are a Weight Watchers dream.
Most have just 3 to 5 Points+.
And black bean soup recipes typically freeze well so you can make a big pot and then keep a stash of portion controlled containers in the freezer for those nights when you’re too tired to cook and tempted to call for a pizza.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cans (14.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans, broth, 1½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Process 3 cups of the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Stir the pureed soup back into the pot and add more water if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Remove from the heat and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste. Served in bowls garnished with cilantro.
More Skinny Black Bean Soup Recipes
Weight Watchers Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe – a tasty, quick and easy soup made from simple pantry ingredients that makes a perfect goto meal on a busy weeknight. Each 1-1/2 cup serving has just 4 WW Points+ Value.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe – Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution, with just 4 WW PointsPlus found at Mom’s Skinny Kitchen.
Gina’s Black Bean Soup – an easy, inexpensive, low calorie, filling freezer friendly soup with 5 WW PointsPlus Value from SkinnyTaste.
Hearty Black Bean Soup Recipe - Cumin and chili powder give spark to this thick, hearty soup from Amy Chop of Eufaula, Alabama. Each serving has 130 calories and 3 WW PointsPlus Value. Found at Taste of Home.
Instant Black Bean Soup - “The prep time on this dish is about three minutes, and it still turns out great thanks to canned beans and salsa. Each serving has 212 calories and 5 WW PointsPlus Value. From Cooking Light found at My Recipes.
Slow Simmering Black Bean Soup Recipe - I looked and looked for a great black bean soup to make at home. After several uninspiring batches, at last! I came upon this, one worth making and adapting again and again. The original recipe came from Laurie Colwin, the food and fiction writer. Each serving has 166 calories and 4 WW PointsPlus Value. Found at Kitchen Parade.
Quick & Easy Black Bean Soup - This is a zippy Southwestern-flavored black bean soup made with canned beans and prepared salsa so it comes together in minutes. Each serving has 191 calories and 4 WW Points+. Found at Eating Well.
Do you have a favorite black bean soup recipe you would like to share?
If you liked black bean soup recipes you might also like
*PointsPlus® for these black bean soup recipes calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.