Here is a simple banana bundt cake recipe using a cake mix that is easy and delicious.
Rod just finished a slice of this simple banana bundt cake with ice cream and declared it “one of the best” banana cakes ever; hearty praise from a true cake lover!
This adapted the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!
I made a few changes to the original recipe to lighten it up and make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly.
I omitted the additional 1/4 cup of sugar called for since cake mixes are plenty sweet for us. Replaced the sour cream with plain nonfat yogurt and increased it by 1/4 cup and decreased the oil by 1/4 cup.
I also added 2 tablespoons of flour which is a trick my mother learned from her Home Ec teacher decades ago to help cake mix cakes be less crumbly.
With a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar, each slice has a 6 WW PointsPlus Value, which really isn’t so bad for something so sweet and delicious.
When baking banana breads and banana cakes, it’s important to use really overripe bananas for best flavor
- Vegetable oil spray for coating the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 cup mashed bananas (from 2 or 3 very ripe bananas)
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar, for dusting on top
- Position an a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist a bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour, shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, cake mix, flour (if using), oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until the mixture lightens and is smooth, about 1½ minutes longer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until is deeply golden brown on top and the top springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a long sharp knife along the edges of the pan. Shake the pan to loosen the cake and then invert it onto the rack.
- While the cake is still warm, sift the confectioners sugar over the top so that it melts to form a glaze. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve while still a little warm.
Source: adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!
*PointsPlus® for this simple banana bundt cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this simple banana bundt cake you might also like:
Skinny Low Fat Chocolate Cake Recipes – from my files and other blogs and websites with WW PointsPlus Values
Easy Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cake Recipes - from my files and other blogs and websites with WW PointsPlus Values
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe - an easy, skinny from scratch cake with 6 WW PointsPlus Value
If you are serious about baking bundt cakes, it is worth investing in a high quality Bundt Pan like this one from Nordic Ware.