I made this Mediterranean Chicken for dinner Saturday night and think it’s a real keeper.
Both Rod and I really enjoyed it, which doesn’t happen all the time.
It was perfect served with a simple green salad.
I found it as I was flipping through Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes (a cookbook I hadn’t opened in a couple of years, which is a shame since everything I’ve tried from it has been good) looking for ideas for something that would be quick, easy and tasty and feel like I hit the jackpot!
It called for ingredients that I tend to have on hand – boneless skinless chicken breasts, olive oil, canned diced tomatoes, kalamata olives, dried spices, feta cheese and pasta – nothing too unusual.
I made a few modifications to the recipe to accommodate our tastes. The recipe suggests that you add the feta at the end, cover and let it stand for a few minutes, which would be delicious if you like feta cheese. But since Rod isn’t a fan, I left it out and put it on the table as an optional topping.
I also used an extra can of diced tomatoes since I like my pasta dishes on the saucy side, especially when I know there will be leftovers requiring reheating – it keeps them from drying out.
I replaced the dried parsley with 1 tablespoon of fresh and used 2 teaspoons of dried Italian herb mix instead of the dried basil and oregano. I also used Ronzoni Healthy Harvest penne, since it was what was what was in the pantry.
If you are like me, always on the lookout for quick easy chicken recipes, this one ranked two thumbs up at our house.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup feta cheese
- 8 ounces penne pasta (white or whole wheat)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for cooking the pasta.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is done, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives and herbs to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers and once the pasta water comes to a boil, slowly add a big handful of salt to the boiling water and then cook the pasta according to the package instructions. When it is done, drain.
- Once the sauce has simmered for about 8 to 10 minutes and thickened up, return the chicken to the skillet, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and remove from the heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Serve immediately over the pasta (or stir the pasta into the chicken mixture and then serve).
Light & Creamy One-Pot Pasta – easy, healthy and delicious – comfort food at it’s finest
Easy Baked Ziti – Pasta, ground turkey and tomato sauce baked together add up to classic comfort food
Italian Sausage & Pasta – a great easy healthy pasta recipe with turkey sausage and vegetables