I made this Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta for dinner Saturday night. It’s a real keeper as far as I’m concerned. Both Rod and I really enjoyed it, which doesn’t happen all the time. Especially, when the recipe involves tomatoes, olives and feta cheese – ingredients I love, but Rod, not so much.
Served with a simple green salad, this Mediterranean chicken and pasta was as tasty as it was easy.
I found the recipe as I was flipping through Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes, a winner of a cookbook that I don’t use nearly enough.
I was looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that would taste great and wouldn’t require a trip to the grocery store.
Boy, did this Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta deliver!
I made a few modifications to the recipe to accommodate our tastes. The recipe suggests that you add the feta at the end, cover and let it stand for a few minutes. This would be delicious if you like feta cheese. Rod doesn’t. So, I left it out and served it at the table, as a garnish, instead.
I also used an extra can of diced tomatoes since I like my pasta dishes really saucy. Next time I think I’ll use one can of tomatoes and a can of artichoke hearts (drained and roughly chopped.)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup feta cheese
- 8 ounces penne pasta (white or whole wheat)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for cooking the pasta.
- While you are waiting for the pasta water to boil, put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is done, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives and herbs to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- While the sauce simmers and once the pasta water comes to a boil, slowly add a big handful of salt to the boiling water and then cook the pasta according to the package instructions. When it is done, drain.
- Once the sauce has simmered for about 8 to 10 minutes and thickened up, return the chicken to the skillet, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and remove from the heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Serve immediately over the pasta (or stir the pasta into the chicken mixture and then serve).
Variation: Use 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can artichoke hearts (drained and roughly chopped)
If you liked this Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta you might also like:
Light & Creamy One-Pot Pasta – easy, healthy and delicious – comfort food at it’s finest
Easy Baked Ziti – Pasta, ground turkey and tomato sauce baked together add up to classic comfort food
Italian Sausage & Pasta – a great easy healthy pasta recipe with turkey sausage and vegetables
*PointsPlus® for Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.