Easy cake mix cookies, like these easy cake mix chocolate crinkle cookies, are easy to make and delicious. Nobody would ever guess they come a cake mix!
I’ve been making easy cakes from boxed cake mix for years but had no idea how fun and easy it was to make cookies with cake mix until recently.
How did I discover cake mix cookies? It all began out of necessity. Wanting a festive chocolate cookie to add to my holiday cookie plates and being short on time, I decided to modify my favorite chocolate crinkle cookies recipe by using a cake mix.
I turned to the The Cake Mix Doctor, adapting the recipe for double-chocolate chewies – chilling the dough before rolling it by teaspoonfuls in confectioner’s sugar.
They were incredibly easy! And the taste? Everyone loved them. In fact, several people who received my plates of Christmas Cookies commented that they liked the chocolate ones best!
These cake mix chocolate crinkle cookies are still one of my favorites.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain devil's food cake mix
- ⅓ cup water or room temperature coffee
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar (for rolling)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, water or coffee, melted butter, and egg with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all ingredients are well combined, then beat on medium speed for 1 more minute. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is well chilled, at least 4 hours.
- When you are ready to bake your cookies, position an oven rack in the middle and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Alternatively grease cookie sheets with shortening or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place confectioner's sugar in a shallow dish. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls into the confectioner's sugar and roll in sugar to coat as you shape them into balls. Place on lined cookie sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies 10 to 12 minutes, until they are set but still slightly soft in the center. Do not over-bake. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let the cookies rest on the cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer the cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- Note: For snowier looking cookies, dip them in confectioner's sugar again once they are cool.
*PointsPlus® for these cake mix chocolate crinkles calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.