After more than a decade of regular practice I'm convinced that yoga is the best exercise for Weight Watchers. Because yoga, even the gentle kind, has an amazing ability to make dealing with everything in life a little easier. Including weight loss.
My yoga practice has helped me sustain my lifetime WW status for more than ten years. I'm not alone.
In one study of more than 15,000 adults in their 50s, overweight people who did yoga at least once a week for 4 or more years lost an average of 5 pounds, while those who didn't practice packed on an average of 13.5—a difference of nearly 20 pounds.
How could a few minutes of deep breathing and gentle yoga poses help anyone drop pounds? Here are a few ways...
Seven Ways Yoga Helps with Weight Loss
- Reduces stress, stress-hormones, and as a result stress related eating which is good because stress can cause weight gain.
- Increases our overall mind and body awareness so we pay more attention to our eating behaviors and choices which naturally results in more mindful eating and better management of cravings. We learn to chew more so we can weigh less.
- Improves how our brain reacts to stress and improved mood, leading to healthier food choices and less emotional eating.
- Improves muscle tone, balance, flexibility, and circulation leading to improved hormone function and better digestion.
- May increase insulin sensitivity and lower cholesterol by as much as 19 and 25 percent.
- Encourages us to be kind to ourselves. This self-compassion can help us avoid beating ourselves up when we slip up making it easier to get back to healthy eating at the next meal.
- Teaches us that each day is a practice, an opportunity to gain insight; not a zero sum undertaking. We learn to be less judgmental and striving. We begin to feel more balanced, less out of control. We realize we can turn to our yoga practice, breathe deeply, take a walk, or have a bath instead of raiding the fridge or nearest vending machine.
Related Article: Why Love, Kindness and Compassion are Key Ingredients for Weight Loss Success
Yoga Videos for Weight Loss
Yoga for Weight Loss Video #1: Restorative Yoga with Allie
Yoga for Weight Loss Video #2: Gentle Yoga for Bigger Bodies
Yoga for Weight Loss Video #3: Slow and Gentle Yoga for Seniors with Adrienne
If you liked reading about the ways yoga helps with weight loss, you might also like:
- Connecting with Food through Yoga
- A Short Yoga Practice for Improving Mood
- A Short Morning Yoga Practice for Increasing Energy
- Easy Yoga Poses to Counter the Effects of Sitting Too Much
- Helpful Ways to Stay on Track in Stressful Times
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply