(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 154)
I brought these slow cooker spiced nuts to a little Oscar Party gathering at Peter’s house Sunday night.
They were a hit. Everyone gave them a thumb’s up, which was nice.
(I’m always a little nervous when making new recipes to share with friends and family and keep my fingers crossed that they’ll like them. And I’m always delighted when they do.)
I probably shouldn’t have made this slow cooker spiced nuts party mix.
The recipe calls for one of my longtime trigger foods – bite-size cheese crackers, (AKA Cheez-Its).
Of course, I could have left them out.
But that wouldn’t have been any fun.
Instead I grabbed a box of organic cheese crackers at Sprouts and decided to see what would happen.
I made a couple other changes to the recipe too.
Since pecans were really pricey, I substituted mixed nuts.
My attempt to use less butter didn’t work because the spice mix became too thick to coat the mix.
And I used a larger-than-suggested crock pot to make stirring it every 30 minutes easier.
This slow cooker spiced nuts party mix is delicious. And is brimming with good-for-you nuts.
It’s also HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!
I’m gonna have to hide what’s left and portion it out a little at a time so I don’t devour the whole container.
Slow Cooker Spiced Nuts Party Mix
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- 1 envelope 1 oz Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper cayenne
- 2 cups mixed unsalted nuts
- 2 cups roasted unsalted cashews
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- 3 cups bite-size cheese crackers
- 2 cups sourdough pretzel nuggets
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6 Quart
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, taco seasoning mix, cinnamon and red pepper.
- Add the nuts, cheese crackers and pretzel nuggets to the slow cooker. Drizzl over the butter/spice mixture and then toss well to coat everything as best you can.
- Cook uncovered on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until the nuts are toasted. Turn off slow cooker and enjoy wam or spread out onto cookie sheets to cool and then store in an airtight container
Source: slight adapted from this Betty Crocker Recipe for slow cooker spiced nuts party mix
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this recipe for slow cooker spiced nuts party mix you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
~ Leo Tolstoy
Do you have a favorite motivational quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!