It’s finally beginning to feel just a little bit fall like here in Phoenix. Thank goodness. So I decided to turn the oven on to make a simple oven pot roast with vegetables and horseradish sauce.
I live with a guy who absolutely adores meat and potatoes – especially braised meats like pot roast. He enjoyed the slow cooker Italian style pot roast I made a while back.
So I was confident this oven pot roast with vegetables – calling for bottom round roast, carrots, turnips and potatoes – would be a winner with him.
I found the recipe for this oven pot roast with vegetables while scanning my copy of Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes, which is absolutely brimming with the kinds of home-style recipes my family loves best.
I’ve made several recipes from it and they’ve all turned out delicious. And I’ve got a dozen more marked to try. It’s quickly becoming one of my go-to cookbooks.
I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, which is something unusual for me. The only change I made was to substitute dried thyme for fresh, since it was all I had. And since they didn’t have bottom round roast at the market – I substituted boneless cross rib, which was on sale, instead.
And the healthy horseradish sauce for this oven pot roast with vegetables couldn’t have been easier; Just a stirring together of Greek yogurt, prepared horseradish and Dijon mustard.
Both Rod and Mac loved it and ate two generous platefuls each. So, that would be my only caution to you. The recipe says that this will serve 8, which is only true if you are going to really stick to Weight Watchers sized portions. If you’re feeding hungry guys or bigger eaters, I would say, plan on feeding 4 to 6 at most.
- 2 pounds boneless bottom round roast, trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1-1/4 pounds baby potatoes, halved
- 1-1/2 cups baby carrots
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle the beef with ½ teaspoon salt. Place the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat.
- When it begins to glisten, add the beef and cook it, turning frequently, until it is browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Add the broth and stir scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Turn the meat and then bake, covered for another 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and turnips to the Dutch oven. Cover and return to the oven to bake until the beef and vegetables are fork-tender, about 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, to make the horseradish sauce, stir together the yogurt, horseradish, mustard and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board and slices across the grain, into 16 slices.
- Serve with the vegetables and horseradish sauce
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Liked this Oven Pot Roast With Vegetables You Might Like:
Sunday Oven Pot Roast – with homemade gravy found at Better Homes and Gardens
Oven Pot Roast – with onion soup and beef broth found at Mommy Hates Cooking
Oven Baked Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots – found at Real Mom Kitchen
Coffee Braised Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions – from Eating Well
Pot Roast – with tomatoes and green beans from Cooking Healthy For Me
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.