WW Recipe of the Day: Mixed Green Salad with Oranges and Grapes
(195 calories | *4 WW SmartPoints)
I have a new favorite salad. It’s so yummy I’ve eaten it twice in the past 3 days and plan to have it again very soon.
It’s called Salade Français-Espagnol, which sounds very fancy. But it’s essentially just mixed greens, herbs, red onion, grapes and oranges tossed in a Spanish-inspired vinaigrette, topped with crumbled blue cheese.
And it’s delicious!
I made this yummy mixed green salad Saturday night to go with my first attempt at paella which turned out better than I expected!
And because this salad was so refreshing and delicious, I made it again for lunch today.
The Skinny on Weight Watchers Mixed Green Salad with Oranges & Grapes
The recipe is from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day by Wini Moranville, one of my favorite new cookbooks that hasn’t let me down yet. Everything I’ve tried from it has turned out delicious. The recipes are surprisingly WW friendly, but unfortunately don’t include nutritional values which makes tracking points tricky.
When I saw my sister (a fellow cookbook junkie) on Saturday, she mentioned that she has been having fun reading and cooking from it too. Of course, it you have spent any time here, you know I’m enamored of how French women are able to eat well without getting fat!
When we made this salad Saturday night, we served the blue cheese on the side for people to add as they liked, since not everyone is a fan.
For today’s lunch, I lightened the dressing slightly, replacing 1 tablespoon of oil with orange juice with good results. To keep the dressing’s distinctive Spanish flair, be sure to include the Spanish paprika and sherry vinegar.
This is a salad I see myself turning to frequently this spring and summer.
According to my calculations, each serving has *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints®. The Points® come from the olive oil in the dressing (2 SmartPoints per serving) and the blue cheese (2 SmartPoints per serving).
To decrease the points you can use less olive oil and/or blue cheese. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Salade Français-Espagnol, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Salade Francais Espagnole: Mixed Greens with Oranges and Grapes
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon Spanish paprika, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces (about 4 cups) fresh mild and spicy greens, such as baby lettuces, arugula and watercress, torn
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley or mint or a combination
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 oranges, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled Spanish or French blue cheese, such as Cabrales or Roquefort (I used Wisconsin gorganzola)
- In a small bowl mash together the shallot, salt, pepper and paprika to break up the shallots a little bit. Whisk in the sherry vinegar and orange juice and then the olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens and the herbs with enough dressing (about half of it) to coat the leaves nicely.
- Arrange the lettuce on a large platter.
- Toss the red onion with a bit of the dressing, and arrange it over the greens.
- Arrange the oranges and grapes over the salad. Season with salt and pepper, and a tiny bit more paprika.
- Crumble the blue cheese over the salad.
- Drizzle the oranges, grapes and cheese with just a little more dressing and serve immediately.
Source: Slightly adapted from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day by Wini Moranville
More Weight Watchers Friendly Salads
- Pasta Salad with Blue Cheese Walnuts and Arugula
- Italian Arugula Salad
- Skinny Chopped Greek Salad
- Mixed Greens with Irish Cheddar, Apples, Dried Cranberries and Toasted Walnuts
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!