Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Mixed Green Salad with Oranges and Grapes
I have a new favorite salad. It’s so yummy I’ve eaten it twice in the past 3 days and plan to have it again very soon. It’s called Salade Francaise-Espagnole, which sounds very fancy. But it’s essentially just mixed greens, herbs, red onion, grapes and oranges tossed in a Spanish-inspired vinaigrette, topped with crumbled blue cheese. And it’s delicious!
I made this yummy mixed green salad Saturday night to go with my first attempt at paella (which turned out better than I expected and plan to post soon). And because it was so refreshing and delicious I made it again for lunch today.
The Skinny on Weight Watchers Mixed Green Salad with Oranges and Grapes
The recipe is from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day, one of my favorite new cookbooks that hasn’t let me down yet. Everything I’ve tried from it has turned out delicious. The recipes are surprisingly WW friendly, but unfortunately don’t include nutritional values which makes tracking points tricky. When I saw my sister, a fellow cookbook junkie, on Saturday she mentioned that she has been having fun reading and cooking from it too. Of course, it you have spent any time here, you know I’m enamored of how French women are able to eat well without getting fat!
When we made this salad Saturday night, we served the blue cheese on the side for people to add as they liked, since not everyone is a fan. For today’s lunch, I lightened the dressing slightly, replacing 1 tablespoon of oil with orange juice with good results. To keep the dressing’s distinctive Spanish flair be sure to include the Spanish paprika and sherry vinegar. This is a salad I see myself turning to frequently this spring and summer.
According to my calculations, each serving has 4 SmartPoints®. The SmartPoints® come from the olive oil in the dressing (2 SmartPoints per serving) and the blue cheese (2 SmartPoints per serving) To decrease the points you can use less olive oil and/or blue cheese. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Spanish paprika, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh mild and spicy greens, such as baby lettuces, arugula and watercress, torn (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley or mint or a combination
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 oranges, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- ½ cup crumbled Spanish or French blue cheese, such as Cabrales or Roquefort (I used Wisconsin gorganzola)
- In a small bowl mash together the shallot, salt, pepper and paprika to break up the shallots a little bit. Whisk in the sherry vinegar and orange juice and then the olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens and the herbs with enough dressing (about half of it) to coat the leaves nicely. Arrange the lettuce on a large platter. Toss the red onion with a bit of the dressing, and arrange it over the greens. Arrange the oranges and grapes over the salad. Season with salt and pepper, and a tiny bit more paprika. Crumble the blue cheese over the salad. Drizzle the oranges, grapes and cheese with just a little more dressing and serve immediately
Slightly adapted from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day
More Weight Watchers Friendly Salads
This recipe was so yummy I’ve shared it here: Addicted to Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.