WW Recipe of the Day: Roasted Red Peppers with Anchovy and Garlic
Strips of roasted red peppers combined with quartered anchovy fillets, thin slices of garlic and olive oil. What an easy and delicious nutritional powerhouse of a dish!
We enjoyed these easy and delicious roasted red peppers with anchovies on crusty bread with a glass of chilled white wine last night and ended up polishing off the whole thing!
I'm so glad I chose this recipe for today's 38 Power Foods (affiliate link) group post.
This week's Power Foods ingredient is bell peppers.
If you haven't seen the book, it's definitely worth taking a peek. I'm more pleased with it with each passing week. The 38 Power Foods are categorized into 5 chapters:
- Grains and Legumes;
- Nuts and Seeds; and
- Eggs, Yogurt and Fish.
Along with recipes for each ingredient, there's interesting health information, as well as buying, storing, and preparation tips, making it a useful resource for anyone wanting to eat healthier.
Did you know that red bell peppers have more Vitamin C than an orange? Just one small red, orange or yellow pepper provides as much as 3 times your daily requirement. They're also rich in vitamin B6, beta carotene and a host of other antioxidants that help to protect you against heart disease, cancer, and eye conditions including cataracts and macular degeneration.
I'm a huge fan of roasted red peppers and am rarely without a jar in the pantry or fridge. You can use them so many ways: in dips, salads, and pasta or on sandwiches.
For some reason, I rarely take the time to roast them myself, but this roasted red bell peppers with anchovies recipe helped remind me just how easy it is, especially with a gas grill sitting right outside my kitchen door!
Char on all sides, place in a covered dish to steam, and then remove the skins, stems, ribs and seeds, before cutting the peppers into strips. That's really all there is to it. You may be tempted to rinse them to get rid of bits of skin, but don't because you'll end up washing away lots of flavor in the process.
What's your favorite way to use roasted red peppers?
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Roasted Red Peppers with Anchovies?
Fortunately each serving (before the bread) has 67 calories and:
1 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
1 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Anchovy and Red Bell Pepper Appetizer, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Roasted Red Peppers with Anchovies Recipe
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, quartered
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Roast the red peppers on the grill, under a broiler or directly over the flame of a gas burner, until blackened all over.
- Place the peppers in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap to let them steam for about 15 minutes, which will help to loosen their skins.
- Peel off the skins, and remove the stems, ribs and seeds.
- Cut each pepper into 8 lengthwise strips and place them in a small glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the garlic and olive oil and let marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature. You can also cover them tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for up to 2 days.
- When you are ready to serve, arrange the peppers on a platter and scatter the anchovy quarters on top.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve with crusty bread.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers friendly recipes with bell peppers:
- Skinny Pasta with sausage, peppers, onions, and mushrooms (Simple Nourished Living)
- Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipes with Weight Watchers PointsPlus values (Simple Nourished Living)
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers (SkinnyTaste)
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup (Skinny Taste)
- Tomato and Roasted Pepper Lasagna (Weight Watchers)
- Mediterranean Peppers and Olives Salad (Laaloosh)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!