WW Recipe of the Day: Outback Alice Spring Chicken Made Lighter (Copycat Recipe)
(245 calories | 6 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Have you ever had Outback Steakhouse Alice Spring Chicken? Grilled chicken breast topped with sautéed mushrooms, crisp bacon, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar and honey mustard sauce.
There's no denying its deliciousness. But it comes at a price if you are watching your waistline. Each serving has 759 calories and 47 grams of fat.
I thought it would be fun to recreate this beloved restaurant dish at home in a lighter healthier way.
If you have ever wondered how to use restaurant techniques to simplify an otherwise fussy recipe, here's a great example!
There's a few steps to producing this amazing dish that takes the humble chicken breast to a whole new yummy level. If you follow the instructions piece by piece and do some ahead, you'll have a dinner party entree that you'll make again and again.
I used one large chicken breast but you can save a step by just using 2 smaller ones.
This is a high protein, low calorie restaurant worthy dish you can make at home.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Lightened Up Alice Spring Chicken Recipe?
According to my calculations, each serving has 245 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Outback's Alice Springs Cheesy Bacon Chicken at Home Step by Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Slice the chicken in half and place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap.
Using a meat pounder, empty wine bottle, or rolling pin , slightly pound the breasts to about ⅓-inch width. Set aside on a plate. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: In a small bowl , stir together the mustard, mayonnaise, honey and vinegar, then set aside.
Step 4: Heat the butter in a medium sized frying pan. Then lightly spray the pan. Saute the mushroom over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until softened.
Season the mushrooms lightly with pepper as they cook. When soft, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Step 5: Add the chicken and brown over medium-high heat on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Chicken will have almost cooked through.
Step 6: Top each breast with mushrooms and divide the cheese between the two breasts.
Add the wine, cover and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. or until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through.
Step 7: Place on plates, cover lightly with mustard sauce and sprinkle the bacon bits and green onions over the top.
Lighter Healthier Outback Alice Spring Chicken Recipe Notes
This is definitely a recipe that if done in steps is really easy. Most parts can all be done up to 1 day in advance. To make ahead, saute, cool and cover the mushrooms, then store in the fridge. Mix up the sauce and store. Pound and season the chicken and store. At the end, you'll just finish up the whole meal in about 10 minutes.
If you are averse to pounding chicken breasts to make them thin, look for thin cut chicken breasts or use chicken tenders instead.
In this Hallmark Home & Family video watch cookbook author, Marlene Koch, whip up her cheesy bacon chicken with honey mustard dressing:
To keep this meal low in carbs, serve with your favorite green vegetable such as broccoli, green beans, or asparagus. Hearty appetites might also appreciate a baked potato or rice. Use any leftover mustard sauce to drizzle over the starch.
The dish has lots of flavors and textures, so a simple green salad will be all you need to round out this elegant dinner.
Ways to Use Your Cheesy Bacon Chicken Leftovers
Since this is a two-serving recipe, any leftovers will be minimal. They can be wrapped in foil and reheated in a 350F degree oven for 10 minutes, or until warmed through. Alternatively, just cover and lightly microwave for about 30 seconds.
If you've made this Cheesy Bacon Chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Outback Alice Springs Chicken Made Lighter (Copycat)
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 10 to 12 ounces)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon wine (or broth or water)
- 2 tablespoons real bacon bits
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Slice the chicken in half and place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat pounder, empty wine bottle, or rolling pin, slightly pound the breasts to about ⅓-inch width. Set aside on a plate. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mustard, mayonnaise, honey and vinegar, then set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium-sized frying pan. Then lightly spray the pan. Saute the mushroom over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until softened. Season the mushrooms lightly with pepper as they cook. When soft, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chicken and brown over medium-high heat on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Chicken will have almost cooked through.
- Top each breast with mushrooms and divide the cheese between the two breasts. Add the wine, cover and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place on plates, cover lightly with sauce and sprinkle the bacon bits and green onions over the top.
Recipe Source: adapted from Eat What You Love Restaurant Favorites by Marlene Koch
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Chicken Recipes for Weight Watchers
- 5-Ingredient Maple Glazed Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- Crock Pot Southwestern Cheesy Chicken
- Skinny Lemon-Pepper Chicken Breasts
- Crock Pot Maple Mustard Chicken
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!