WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Low Carb Chicken Teriyaki
(188 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
This yummy chicken teriyaki recipe was what I chose to make with the package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs that needed to be turned into dinner.
It’s an example of my backwards approach to cooking.
Most of the experts tell you to plan out your menus and choose your recipes, create your grocery list and then shop for ingredients. I tried this approach for years and found it time-consuming, frustrating, overwhelming and expensive.
So, several years ago I began using by backwards approach. I make out a list of staples I need and then decide what else to buy at the store, making my choices based on what’s on sale and looks good.
Then I decide what to make day-by-day and meal-by-meal. It’s a lot more fun, less stressful and gives me the perfect excuse to always be rooting through my favorite cookbooks and recipe sites looking for inspiration.
I’ve been on a bit of a Nigella kick recently so I turned to the index of two of her cookbooks, looked up “chicken,” identified several options and selected this Chicken Teriyaki recipe from her wonderful book, Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home .
It seemed quick and easy and the photo looked delicious.
Skinny on Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
I made a couple of substitutions in the name of using what I had available: sake (Japanese rice wine) instead of mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine), canola oil instead of peanut oil, and skipped the sesame oil altogether.
The results, thought not as pretty as the picture in Nigella’s cookbook, were still delicious. Rod loved it too. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
According to my calculations each serving has 188 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Chicken Teriyaki, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- 6 tablespoons sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (I used jarred ginger paste)
- 1-2 splashes sesame oil (I didn't have any so skipped it)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a dish that you can marinate the chicken in, mix together the sake, soy sauce, sugar and ginger.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss to combine. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. (I covered the dish with plastic wrap and placed it into the fridge to marinate for about 4 hours.)
- In a large shallow frying pan, heat the canola oil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to the pan and saute, until they looked cooked on the outside.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces in the pan and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. (To check for doneness, cut into a piece of chicken.)
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl covered with foil. Increase the heat under the pan to let the liquid boil until it becomes thick and syrupy.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan, stirring so they get coated with the syrupy glaze.
- Serve while hot with rice and/or green vegetable of your choice.
Source: adapted from Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this chicken teriyaki, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken with Pineapple (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Teriyaki Chicken Wings (SlenderKitchen)
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Pork Roast (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Chicken Teriyaki with Broccoli (WeightWatchers)
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (Simple-Nourished-Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!