Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
Roasted beets, sliced and marinated in a simple vinaigrette, then topped with goat cheese and mint.
Deciding which recipe to make for this week’s 38 Power Foods group was easy. As soon as I spied this quick and easy recipe for marinated roasted beet salad with goat cheese and mint, I knew it was the one since I had everything I needed on hand except the beets.
Every Friday, a group of bloggers led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, is working their way through the healthy ingredients contained within Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients from Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
And as you’ve already guessed, this week’s Power Foods ingredient is beets.
If you haven’t seen the book, it’s definitely worth taking a peek. The 38 Power Foods are categorized into 5 chapters:
- Grains & Legumes
- Nuts & Seeds
- Eggs, Yogurt & Fish
Along with recipes for each ingredient, there’s interesting health information, as well as buying, storing, and preparation tips, making it a useful resource for anyone wanting to eat healthier.
So what are beets health benefits exactly?
Well, they’re low in calories, high in fiber, rich in iron, folic acid, and beta-carotene. Naturally sweet and delicious, they come in a rainbow of colors – red, white, golden and even candy cane striped (Chioggia).
Full of powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients, beets and may help protect against cancer, heart disease, and eye diseases.
And their leafy greens are even more nutritious than the roots, so be sure to find a way to use them. (I usually just wash them, chop them and saute them like I would spinach or swiss chard.)
Skinny on Marinated Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
I did make a few minor changes to the recipe. First, instead of steaming the beets, I wrapped them in foil and roasted them in the toaster oven until tender because I think it’s easier.
I also reduced the olive oil called for from 2 tablespoons to 2 teaspoons, which was more than enough for our tastes.
Everyone really enjoyed this simple marinated roasted beet salad with goat cheese and mint, so it’s getting added to my “Make Again” file.
According to my calculations each serving has 141 calories and *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. Under the Freestyle Plan, this is now *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints per serving.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this beet and goat cheese salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Marinated Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound beets, scrubbed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Cut the top of the beet greens off and save them for another recipe, if desired.
- Prick the skins of the beets a couple of times and then wrap the beets in aluminum foil.
- Place the foil packet of beets in the oven and roast until they are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the beets.
- Remove the beets from the oven and when they are cool enough to handle, rub the skins and remove them. (They should slip off pretty easily.)
- Cut the beets into thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine the beets, garlic, vinegar and oil and salt and pepper to taste, tossing well to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove and discard the garlic.
- Top the beets with mint and goat cheese.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this post and recipe for marinated roasted beet salad with goat cheese out these links to more Weight Watchers friendly beet recipes:
- Tomato, Avocado, and Golden Beet Salad – a combination I never would have considered but the reviews are favorable so I want to give it a try (Weight Watchers)
- Roasted Beet & Pear Salad – with arugula and goat or blue cheese (Slender Kitchen)
- Quinoa, Beet & Arugula Salad – a yummy filling combination (LaaLoosh)
- Beet Recipes Even a Beet Hater Can Love – several easy, tasty healthy ways to with beets (New York Times)
- Winter Borscht Recipe – my first attempt making borscht, which turned our hearty and delicious (Simple Nourished Living)
38 Power Foods Group
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!