WW Recipe of the Day: Hot Open-Face Caprese Sandwich
(181 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Several years ago I wrote the book Tomatoes and Mozzarella: 100 Ways to Enjoy This Tantalizing Twosome All Year Long . Ever since I’ve been making variations on that classic combination. In all, the book has 100 recipes based on the theme, yet I still come up with new ones each season.
This open-face caprese sandwich is one variation that is all season and no work. Any color or type of tomato works fine. I chose Roma and cherry tomatoes. The little cherries can be left whole if small or cut in 1/2 if larger.
What is a Caprese Sandwich?
A Caprese sandwich is made of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
This time I used shredded mozzarella on the bottom of open faced sandwiches and baked them for just 15 minutes in a hot oven. If you prefer you can use two slices of bread for each sandwich and quickly brown them in a panini press just until the cheese melts and the grill marks are on the bread.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Recipe?
According to my calculations, each serving has 181 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make This, Step-by-Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
Step 3: Place 2 leaves of basil on each slice of bread. Top each slice with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Step 4: Divide the tomatoes between the bread slices and place the bread on the prepared baking sheet .
Step 5: Bake for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes and basil look wilted and the cheese has melted.
Step 6: Remove from oven and drizzle with olive and vinegar. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with additional basil leaves or chopped basil. Serve hot.
Sandwiches can be prepped and ready to heat up to 2 days in advance. Make sure to securely wrap the dish so that the cheese will remain moist.
I used whole wheat bread as I like the denseness and filling qualities of it. A classic baguette or a split Italian roll is equally delicious.
Luckily, fresh basil is available year round in most markets. If for some reason, it’s impossible to find, use a dab of prepared pesto on the tomatoes and spread a film of it on the bread before layering with cheese and tomato.
A big veggie salad with crunchy celery, cucumber, additional tomatoes, lettuce and a garlic vinaigrette would be marvelous as a side dish. Perhaps pour a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio and have a slice of melon for dessert.
If you’ve made this Open-Face Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Hot Open-Face Caprese Sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 large sprig of basil
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or 1 small Roma, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Additional chopped basil, or whole leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place 2 leaves of basil on each slice of bread. Top each slice with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Divide the tomatoes between the bread slices and place the bread on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes and basil looks wilted and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with additional basil leaves or chopped basil. Serve hot.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Sandwiches for Weight Watchers
- Grilled Cheese Tomato Soup Sandwiches
- Easy Healthy English Muffin Tuna Melt for Two
- WW Open-Face Pear, Blue Cheese and Prosciutto Sandwich
- Ina Garten Egg Salad Tartines
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!