(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 165)
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
May your heart be warm and happy
With the lilt of Irish laughter
Every day in every way
And forever and ever after!
Are you celebrating?
We’ve been invited to friends for dinner, which is always such a treat.
And something we rarely do on a Monday night.
Fortunately, I don’t have my first private yoga client until 2:00 tomorrow, so I can sleep in a little.
Today’s recipe for easy crock pot turkey mushrooms surprise has absolutely nothing to do with St. Patrick’s Day.
It’s much more like something we would have for supper on a typical weeknight.
I got the idea from a recipe in Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet, but made several changes to accommodate our preferences.
Are you a Hungry Girl fan?
I think she can be a great resource for really easy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, like this crock pot turkey mushrooms surprise.
Some of her recipes use artificial sweeteners and other “fake” foods that aren’t really my cup of tea. So, I just skip over them or adapt them to suit my tastes. (As one of my favorite yoga teachers likes to say, “Take what works and let the rest go.”)
Her recipe called for just dumping everything – including raw ground turkey – into the crock pot. I decided to give the turkey and onions a brief cook in the microwave first.
I substituted dry gravy mix for the jar she suggested, since it’s what was in the pantry. And added a little instant tapioca – my favorite slow cooker thickening agent.
This easy crock pot turkey mushrooms surprise is pure comfort food in a bowl.
Serve it over steamed veggies. Or whole wheat noodles. Or brown rice. Or mashed potatoes if you’re feeling indulgent!
Easy Crock Pot Turkey Mushrooms Surprise
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 packages 1 ounce each turkey gravy mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons intant tapioca for thickening
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker.
- Place the turkey and sliced onion in microwave safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Microwave for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Transfer the turkey to the slow cooker, breaking up any large chunks of turkey.
- Add the mushrooms, dry gravy mix, water, tapioca and thyme (if using). Stir everything to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until the turkey is done and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir, taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve over noodles, or steamed vegetables, or rice, or mashed potatoes.
Source: adapted from Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this recipe for Crock PotTurkey Mushrooms Surprise you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for easy crock pot turkey mushrooms surprise calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“You’ll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.” ~ Irish Proverb
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!