WW Recipe of the Day: Crock Pot Turkey Mushroom Surprise
(226 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I got the idea for this dish from a recipe in Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet , but made several changes to accommodate our preferences.
Are you a Hungry Girl fan?
I think she can be a great resource for really easy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, like this crock pot turkey mushroom surprise.
Some of her recipes use artificial sweeteners and other "fake" foods that aren't really my cup of tea. So, I just skip over them or adapt them to suit my tastes. (As one of my favorite yoga teachers likes to say, "Take what works and let the rest go.")
Her recipe called for just dumping everything - including raw ground turkey - into the crock pot. I decided to give the turkey and onions a brief cook in the microwave first.
I substituted dry gravy mix for the jar she suggested, since it's what was in the pantry. And added a little instant tapioca - my favorite slow cooker thickening agent.
This easy turkey mushrooms surprise is pure comfort food in a bowl.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Meal?
According to my calculations, each serving has 226 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Serve it over steamed veggies. Or whole wheat noodles. Or brown rice. Or mashed potatoes if you're feeling indulgent!
If you've made this Low Carb Turkey Mushroom Surprise, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Turkey Mushrooms Surprise
- 1-¼ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 packages (1 ounce each) turkey gravy mix
- 1-½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons intant tapioca, for thickening
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker.
- Place the turkey and sliced onion in microwave safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Microwave for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Transfer the turkey to the slow cooker, breaking up any large chunks of turkey.
- Add the mushrooms, dry gravy mix, water, tapioca and thyme (if using). Stir everything to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until the turkey is done and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir, taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve over noodles, or steamed vegetables, or rice, or mashed potatoes.
Source: adapted from Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet by Lisa Lillien
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Slow Cooked Turkey Mushrooms Surprise you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!