Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Creamy Asparagus Soup
This Creamy Asparagus Soup (made without a lick of cream) totally exceeded my expectations. Potatoes and a bit of tahini (sesame seed paste) combine with asparagus to create a rich and silky soup that's low in fat but high in flavor.
This soup is perfect as part of a light lunch or supper.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Soup?
According to my calculations each deliciously silky serving of this creamy asparagus soup has just 174 calories and:
1 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you skip the tahini (sesame seed butter), it becomes Simply Filling. Enjoy!
Just ran the ingredients through WW Recipe Builder and discovered it now has *1 Freestyle SmartPoint 🙂
Broccoli would be great, as would a combination of broccoli, cauliflower and carrot.
Substitute any nut butter - peanut butter, almond butter etc.
Add thai curry paste, hot sauce, or red pepper flakes.
If you've made this healthy Asparagus Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup cubed potatoes (2 medium)
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 cups low-fat vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tahini sesame seed paste
- Put medium-size pot on medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the onion and potato and stir with a wooden spoon. Place the lid on askew and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown and stick to the pot 5 to 10 minutes.
- Break the asparagus into pieces and add to the onions and potatoes, along with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove, uncover and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup mixture, carefully in batches until smooth. (Alternatively, blend with an immersion blender right in the pot.)
- Return the mixture to the pot. Stir in the tahini and cook over low heat, stirring often, until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper if necessary.
- different veg - broccoli would be great, as would a combination of broccoli, cauliflower and carrot
- no tahini - substitute any nut butter - peanut butter, almond butter etc.
- spicy - add thai curry paste, hot sauce, or red pepper flakes
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Enjoy-It Healthy Cookbook: 400 Great Stove-Top And Oven Recipes by Phyllis Good
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Asparagus Recipes
- Chilled Asparagus Soup with Spinach and Avocado (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Parmesan Roasted Asparagus (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Salmon Egg Asparagus Salad (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Cream of Asparagus Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Asparagus Soup with Roasted Pepper Puree (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!