Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Creamy Asparagus Soup
(174 calories | *1 WW SmartPoint)
This Creamy Asparagus Soup (made without a lick of cream) totally exceeded my expectations. Potatoes and a bit of tahini (sesame seed paste) combine with asparagus to create a rich and silky soup that’s low in fat but high in flavor.
This soup is perfect as part of a light lunch or supper.
Skinny on Creamy Asparagus Soup
According to my calculations each deliciously silky serving of this creamy asparagus soup has just 174 calories and *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
If you skip the tahini (sesame seed butter), it becomes Simply Filling. Enjoy!
Just ran the ingredients through WW Recipe Builder and discovered it now has *1 Freestyle SmartPoint 🙂
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe Variations
different veg – broccoli would be great, as would a combination of broccoli, cauliflower and carrot
no tahini – substitute any nut butter – peanut butter, almond butter etc.
spicy – add thai curry paste, hot sauce, or red pepper flakes
If you’ve made this healthy Asparagus Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup cubed potatoes (2 medium)
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 cups low-fat vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tahini sesame seed paste
- Put medium-size pot on medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the onion and potato and stir with a wooden spoon. Place the lid on askew and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown and stick to the pot 5 to 10 minutes.
- Break the asparagus into pieces and add to the onions and potatoes, along with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove, uncover and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup mixture, carefully in batches until smooth. (Alternatively, blend with an immersion blender right in the pot.)
- Return the mixture to the pot. Stir in the tahini and cook over low heat, stirring often, until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper if necessary.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Enjoy-It Healthy Cookbook: 400 Great Stove-Top And Oven Recipes by Phyllis Good
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Asparagus Soup Recipes
- Chilled Asparagus Soup with Spinach and Avocado (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Parmesan Roasted Asparagus (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Salmon Egg Asparagus Salad (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Cream of Asparagus Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Asparagus Soup with Roasted Pepper Puree (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!