I happened upon a chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe recently as I was perusing the Tate’s Bake Shop Cookbook: The Best Recipes from Southampton’s Favorite Bakery for Homestyle Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Muffins, and Breads by Kathleen King.
For those not familiar with the Tates Bake Shop story, its owner, Kathleen King, got her start baking chocolate chip cookies from her family’s farm stand and then went on to open her successful Bake Shop in Southampton in 1980 when she was just 20 years old.
Ina Garten writes in the book’s foreword that Barefoot Contessa, her legendary Gourmet Shop, carried everything Kathleen’s Bake Shop made including her extremely popular thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies.
Now, nearly 30 years later Tate’s Bake Shop is still going strong. I recently sampled her chocolate chip cookies and all I can say is WOW! (But that’s another story for another post…)
The recipe that caught my eye was for chewy chocolate chip cookies with coconut and macadamia nuts that Kathleen refers to as “Chuckies” after the friend for whom she first made them.
As soon as I saw the recipe and read the ingredients I felt confident it would be a winner — a thin, crispy, chewy, chocolate chip cookie recipe filled with chunks of bittersweet chocolate, toasted macadamia nuts and toasted coconut.
Sunday, I made half a batch of these scrumptious chewy chocolate chip cookies. Rod and Mac were instantly smitten, declaring them the best cookies to ever come out of my oven.
Of course I have taken that as a challenge and am now on the hunt for the next great cookie recipe. So many cookie recipes, so little time!
The instructions guide you to use parchment paper and/or silicone liners on your cookie sheets. You can lightly grease them with nonstick cooking spray or shortening instead if you prefer.
These are the kind of cookies that are worth every calorie/Weight Watchers point as far as I’m concerned.
And with just 167 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints, they’re a delicious bargain compared to a Paradise Bakery/Panera Bread Chocolate Chipper which weighs in with a whopping 440 calories/18 Freestyle SmartPoints!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Chewy Mac Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks butter) softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chunks or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nuts, toasted lightly and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners. Alternatively lightly grease them with shortening or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium high speed until light and fluffy (3 to 4 minutes). Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary to make sure everything is well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl again if necessary. Stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks, macadamia nuts, and coconut.
- Using two tablespoons or a small ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets at least 2 inches apart, since the cookies will spread as they bake.
- Bake for about 12 to 18 minutes or until the edges start to brown and the centers are not too wet. (Kathleen specified 18 minutes as the baking time in her book, but mine were done at around 15.)
- Remove from the oven and cool cookies on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, you might also like:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Brownies – layers of chocolate chip cookie dough and blondie batter baked together
- Molasses Cookies – a collection of old fashioned recipes for molasses cookies
- No Bake Cookies – the classic stove top cookie made from cocoa, oats, sugar, milk and butter
- Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies – A rich and chewy easy mocha cookie
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!