WW Recipe of the Day: Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Espresso
(157 calories | 8 7 7 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I can't believe this Chewy Chocolate Cookies recipe with espresso has been in my stack of cookie recipes to try since October, when it appeared in Everyday Food (affiliate link)!
Where does the time go? How did it get to be June already?
The recipe popped back into consciousness and onto the top of my cookie recipe stack after reading Joe's recent post at Culinary in the Country.
If you like chewy and rich chocolate cookies, you're going to want to put this chewy chocolate cookie recipe on your "to do" list. It's full of rich dark chocolate goodness from melted bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder and chunks of bittersweet chocolate.
Coffee has a natural affinity for chocolate, making it deeper. Richer. And this chewy chocolate cookie recipe calls for adding a full tablespoon of espresso powder so you really taste it, but if you prefer, you can always decrease it or leave it out altogether.
If you don't have espresso powder, instant coffee will work too.
You'll need 3.5 ounces of chopped bittersweet chocolate. You melt 2 ounces of it to mix into the dough.
The other 1.5 ounces of chopped chocolate gets stirred in at the end right before baking.
Since I do quite a lot of baking and have little self control when it comes to cookies, I cut the recipe in half and made just one dozen of these dark chocolate espresso cookies. These beauties are definitely going into my "best recipes" file.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Cookies
According to my calculations, each chocolate cookie has 157 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
These dark chocolate espresso cookies are definitely a splurge, but still a vast improvement over today's coffee shop and bakery cookies, most of which have at least twice as many calories, fat and Points!
If you've made this Chocolate Espresso Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Espresso (Half Batch)
- 2 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate melted
- 1-½ teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-½ ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Melt 2 ounces of the chopped chocolate in the microwave or on the stove top (whichever you prefer). When the chocolate is smooth, stir in espresso powder or instant coffee. Set aside to rest while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and set it aside while you mix the wet ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the egg until well incorporated. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in the melted chocolate and espresso mixture.
- Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary to make sure all your ingredients are well blended. Add the flour mixture just until combined.
- Gently stir in the coarsely chopped chocolate, being careful not to over mix.
- Scoop dough by two-tablespoon amounts onto lined baking sheets, spacing the scoops of dough at least 2 inches apart. (I like to do this with a small ice cream scoop.)
- Bake until the edges of the cookies are just dry, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes about about 1 dozen chewy chocolate cookies
Source: Everyday Food (affiliate link)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
For a full batch of Chewy Chocolate Cookies
You might also like...
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!