Lightly steamed brussels sprouts, sliced and tossed with a simple maple mustard dressing, then topped with toasted chopped pecans. This sweet and tangy brussels sprouts salad makes a perfect side dish for a winter supper and was a great way to use up the bag of brussels sprouts lingering in the vegetable bin.
I’ve been making a concerted effort not to let food go to waste. It’s a great money saving measure that causes me to be more creative in the kitchen, so it’s a win-win.
I usually roast brussels sprouts but was looking for something different that I could make with ingredients I already had on hand. From 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, by Camilla Saulsbury, one of my favorite cookbook authors, this simple brussels sprouts salad with maple mustard dressing, was a hit when I made it for dinner Wednesday night.
- 1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard (regular Dijon will work)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Place the brussels sprouts in a steamer basket set over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam, until crisp-temder but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Place the brussels sprouts in a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking so they maintain their pretty green color. Drain and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife or mandoline, thinly slice the brussels sprouts lengthwise. Place the slices in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss to coat them. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled, or for up to 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with the toasted pecans.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes and Onions
Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Chestnuts (Weight Watchers)
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts (SkinnyTaste)
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.