This is one of those special banana nut muffin recipes that will jump start your day–a moist subtmocha-flavored banana muffin enhanced with macadamias and semi-sweet chocolate mini chips.
It’s made healthy with white whole wheat flour, bananas, and yogurt, and contains only 1/4 cup of butter, which equals only 1 teaspoon per muffin.
This banana mocha macadamia nut muffin is adapted from a recipe I saw in Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways To Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients into Your Cooking for Espresso Banana Muffins that called for 6 tablespoons of room temperature butter to be creamed with sugar until light and fluffy.
For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
Although, this creates a lighter cake-like consistency, digging out the electric mixer first thing in the morning is a no-starter for a quick and easy focused cook like me, who likes to ease into the day. I also prefer my banana nut muffin recipes a little heavier and less cake-like; they seem healthier and more satisfying somehow.
By opting to melt the butter I was able to stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon – quick and easy. The result is my simpler version of banana mocha macadamia nut muffins.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder or espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup natural cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium to large)
- 1 cup chopped toasted macadamia nuts, divided
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly grease the bottoms of a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, coffee powder, and cocoa powder until combined. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, yoga and mashed bananas with a wooden spoon until well combined and creamy.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the liquid until just combined, being careful not to over mix or the muffins will be tough. Stir in ½ cup of the nuts and ½ cup of the chocolate chips. Fill the muffin cups equally. I love to use an ice cream scoop to make quick, neat, and easy work of filling muffin tins. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and chocolate chips equally among the muffin tops:
- Bake until golden, about 25 minutes and transfer the muffin tin to a rack to cool. Cool muffins in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove the muffins from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack or enjoy warm.
Source: This banana mocha macadamia nut muffin recipes adapted from Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways To Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients into Your Cooking by Heidi Swanson.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.