Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Baked Apple Cinnamon Donuts
(148 calories | 6 5 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
We are finally experiencing a little relief from the heat. And while I can't say it feels like fall, the calendar says it is, which is good enough for me.
This is the time of year when my mind turns to apple-y desserts and doughnuts.
Not that doughnuts are just an Autumn thing for me. I love them all year!
I'd love to drop into a New England apple orchard for some freshly picked apples, cider and doughnuts.
So, it's not surprising that I woke up with a serious doughnut craving this morning.
But instead of getting dressed and heading out to the nearest doughnut shop, I turned on the oven, pulled out my donut pan and whipped up a batch of these baked doughnuts instead.
Skinny on Baked Apple Doughnuts for Weight Watchers
I used this recipe for baked pumpkin doughnuts, substituting applesauce for the pumpkin and topping them with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and drizzle of icing.
The delicious, still warm-from-the-oven baked doughnuts are able to satisfy my craving for a sweet treat, while avoiding the sugar rush I get from the bakeshop variety.
They made Rod smile too.
According to my calculations each of these baked apple cinnamon doughnuts has 148 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Serving and Enjoying Baked Donuts
The doughnuts can be eaten as is, sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, or decorated with your favorite icing and chopped nuts and/or candy sprinkles.
I like to sprinkle mine with a little cinnamon and sugar and drizzle them with icing I made by stirring together 2 heaping tablespoons of confectioners' sugar with 1-2 teaspoons of apple juice (water or milk would work too) to achieve a drizzling consistency.
If you like these healthy baked apple spice donuts, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Crock Pot Apple Cobbler, Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake, Slow Cooker Baked Apples with Gingersnaps and Skinny Apple Brownies
If you've made this Apple Cinnamon Baked Donuts, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, spice(s) and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce mixture. Using a spoon mix until just combined. Do not overmix or the doughnuts will be tough.
- Use a pastry bag, or large plastic bag, to pipe the mixture into the donut pan. Alternatively, you can spoon the batter into the molds, but the finished doughnuts may not appear as even.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently around the edges.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let the doughnuts cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the inside of the molds to release the doughnuts. Invert the donuts on the rack and cool completely, or enjoy warm.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch as Stephanie from Joy Of Baking demonstrates how to make baked cake doughnuts:
More Weight Watchers Recipes for Baked Doughnuts:
- Apple Crisp Donuts with Caramel Drizzle (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Baked Chocolate Frosted Doughnuts (Emily Bites)
- Baked Blueberry Doughnuts (Recipe-Diaries)
- Low Calorie Baked Red Velvet Doughnuts (HungryGirl)
- Pumpkin Strudel Donuts (Drizzle Me Skinny)
- Carrot Cake Doughnuts (EmilyBites)
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Donuts (DrizzleMeSkinny)
This video from Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking shows how to make no-knead donuts (baked not fried):
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!