WW Recipe of the Day: Light & Healthy Apple Pecan Muffins
(213 calories | 7 7 7 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
These apple pecan muffins from Ellie Krieger are a winner. With a 5 star rating on the The Food Network how could they miss? Moist and delicious, you'd never guess they were healthy.
I first made them years ago when I came across the recipe in Ellie's first cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life .
Skinny on Apple Pecan Muffins
This apple pecan muffin recipe is full of chunks of apple and topped with a delicious crunchy mixture of pecans, cinnamon and sugar.
The only change I made was adding ½ teaspoon cinnamon to the muffin batter. And I used a Granny Smith apple instead of yellow delicious, since it's what I had in the fridge.
Feel free to substitute walnuts for the pecans if you like.
It's a delightful way to begin your day, with a cup of Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
How Many Calories & Weight Watchers Points in these Healthy Apple Pecan Muffins?
According to my calculations each muffin has just 213 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've made these Apple Muffins with Pecans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Apple Pecan Muffins Recipe
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Coat a standard (2-12-inch) 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk in a large bowl until well combined. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture just until combined. Gently stir in apple chunks.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. (I like to use an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop ) Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy while still warm.
Source: slightly adapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life by Ellie Krieger.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Light Healthy Muffins for Weight Watchers
- Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Raspberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Low Fat Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- One Bowl Coconut Muffins
- Making Healthy Muffins from Scratch
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!