These apple pecan muffins from Ellie Krieger are a winner.
With a 5 star rating on the The Food Network how could they miss?
Moist and delicious, you’d never guess they were healthy.
I first made them years ago when I came across the recipe in Ellie’s first cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Skinny on Apple Pecan Muffins
This apple pecan muffin recipe is full of chunks of apple and topped with a delicious crunchy mixture of pecans, cinnamon and sugar.
The only change I made was adding 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the muffin batter. And I used a Granny Smith apple instead of yellow delicious, since it’s what I had in the fridge.
It’s a delightful way to begin your day, with a cup of Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
According to my calculations each muffin has just 213 calories and *6 Points Plus.
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Coat a standard (2-12-inch) 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk in a large bowl until well combined. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture just until combined. Gently stir in apple chunks.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. (I like to use an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop ) Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 15-20 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy while still warm.
Source: slightly adapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
*PointsPlus® for apple pecan muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.