WW Recipe of the Day: Apple Pecan Muffins
(213 calories | *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
These apple pecan muffins from Ellie Krieger are a winner.
With a 5 star rating on the The Food Network how could they miss?
Moist and delicious, you’d never guess they were healthy.
I first made them years ago when I came across the recipe in Ellie’s first cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life .
Skinny on Apple Pecan Muffins
This apple pecan muffin recipe is full of chunks of apple and topped with a delicious crunchy mixture of pecans, cinnamon and sugar.
The only change I made was adding 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the muffin batter. And I used a Granny Smith apple instead of yellow delicious, since it’s what I had in the fridge.
Feel free to substitute walnuts for the pecans if you like.
It’s a delightful way to begin your day, with a cup of Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
According to my calculations each muffin has just 213 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made these Apple Muffins with Pecans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Apple Pecan Muffins Recipe
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Coat a standard (2-12-inch) 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk in a large bowl until well combined. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture just until combined. Gently stir in apple chunks.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. (I like to use an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop ) Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy while still warm.
Source: slightly adapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life by Ellie Krieger.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these apple muffins, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!