(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 153)
These slow cooker apricot chicken thighs were a very pleasant surprise.
I’ve seen the recipe in various cookbooks and online for years, but was never willing to try it.
The ingredients – apricot preserves, Catalina dressing and dry onion soup mix – just seemed kinda weird to me.
Late last week I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a try.
I modified a few things to make this version of slow cooker apricot chicken thighs more Weight Watchers friendly.
And I cut way back on the sauce ingredients which still provided more than enough for six chicken thighs.
And I added a little tapioca, my secret slow cooker sauce thickening ingredient.
Peter arrived just as I was turning on the crock pot. He made a funny face when I told him what I was cooking. But, by the time he left, he commented that it smelled pretty darn good.
And I asked Rod if I could quote him here, when he said they were “really, really, really good!”
Needless to say, I will definitely make these slow cooker apricot chicken thighs again.
The recipe specifies 5 ounce boneless skinless chicken thighs. I’ve noticed many that I’ve been buying recently are much larger – up to 8 ounces – which may take a little longer to cook. If this is a concern, I’d suggest cutting them in half.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces each)
- ½ cup fat free Catalina dressing (the spicy orange kind)
- ½ cup Apricot fruit spread
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- ½ package dry onion soup mix (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2 to 3-Quart
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper, if desired, then place them in the slow cooker.
- Mix together the dressing, fruit spread, tapioca and dry onion soup mix until well blended. Pour it over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken thighs are cooked and tender when pierced with a fork.
Variations & Substitutions:
If you don't have apricot preserves, peach, pineapple or orange marmalade should work.
If you don't have Catalina dressing, any spicy tangy dressing should work.
If you don't have tapioca, you can thicken your sauce at the end by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, stirring it into the sauce and letting it cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
If you don't have chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts, but be sure to check them at 4 hours so they don't get dried out.
If you don't have dry onion soup mix, you can use 1 tablespoons dried onion flakes and 1 teaspoon garlic salt.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs Variations and Substitutions:
- If you don’t have apricot preserves, peach, pineapple or orange marmalade should work.
- If you don’t have Catalina dressing, substitute any spicy tangy dressing of your choice.
- If you don’t have tapioca, you can thicken your sauce at the end by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, stirring it into the sauce and letting it cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
- If you don’t have chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts, but be sure to check them at 4 hours so they don’t get dried out.
- If you don’t have dry onion soup mix, use 1 tablespoons dried onion flakes and 1 teaspoon garlic salt instead.
If you liked this recipe for slow cooker apricot chicken thighs you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker artichoke chicken calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.”
~ Winston Churchill
Do you have a favorite motivational quote and/or weight loss tip? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.