(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 173 – Crock Pot Chocolate Rice Pudding)
I adapted this recipe for crock pot chocolate rice pudding from the Best of Bridge Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes, where it was described as “silky, sensational and simple.”
Made with only 2 ingredients – short grain rice and chocolate almond milk – this crock pot chocolate rice pudding is most definitely simple.
Low Fat. And vegan.
Good, but less than sensational - it’s creamy and not too sweet with a light chocolate flavor.
I enjoyed it for dessert, as a snack, and even as part of a slightly decadent breakfast one morning.
The Skinny on Crock Pot Chocolate Rice Pudding
The original recipe called for 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread which was imperceptible so I left it out, cutting about 100 calories per serving.
The key to this crock pot chocolate rice pudding’s creaminess is short grain rice (arborio), which is what you use for risotto.
And chocolate almond milk. Unlike regular milk that can curdle in the slow cooker, almond milk can stand up to long slow cooking.
Each serving has 126 calories and 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
For a sweeter, richer chocolate flavor you may want to experiment with additional sugar/sweetener and cocoa powder and/or chocolate chips.
- ⅓ cup short grain white rice (such as arborio)
- 3 cups sweetened chocolate-flavored almond milk
- Called for ¼ cup chocolate hazelnut spread but I couldn't really taste it so it definitely wasn't worth the calories!
- Came out with light chocolate flavor. Not too sweet Creamy. Think it would work as breakfast, snack or dessert!
- Ideal slow cooker size: 1-1/2 to 2-Quart
- Grease the slow cooker insert.
- Combine the rice and almond milk in the slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the rice is very tender and pudding is creamy. (If you are able, give the pudding a quick stir every hour or so.)
- Stir well.
- Serve warm or chilled.
For a richer chocolate flavor next time, try adding ¼ cup chocolate chips and/ 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Source: adapted from Best of Bridge Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes
*PointsPlus® for this crock pot chocolate rice pudding calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you like this crock pot chocolate rice pudding, you might also like…
Today’s Food for Thought
“The greatest mistake you can make in life is continually fearing that you’ll make one.”
~ Elbert Hubbard
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!