(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 67)
I made this Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole to use up what was left of our Thanksgiving turkey.
It was a big hit with my casserole-loving husband.
Creamy, crunchy, and satisfying, I thought it was good too.
It’s a good thing we both like it, because the recipe for this slow cooker turkey and wild casserole expanded into 10 generous cups!
The toasted sliced almonds add a nice bit of crunch. But, they are optional. I skipped them when Mac, who is allergic to nuts, joined us for dinner and we didn’t miss them a bit.
Next time I make this slow cooker turkey and wild casserole I’m going to experiment with cutting back on the rice and liquid to make a more manageable amount for our little family. I think individual portions of the leftovers could be successfully frozen too.
- 6 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) fat free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded turkey
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- I used a 4-Quart slow cooker.
- Place the mushrooms, mushroom soup, water chestnuts, uncooked wild rice, uncooked brown rice, chopped onion, garlic powder and pepper in the slow cooker. Stir to combine and then stir in the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until rice is tender. Stir in the shredded cooked turkey. Top each serving with a generous tablespoon of sliced almonds, if desired
If you liked slow cooker turkey and wild rice casserole you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker turkey and wild rice casserole calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.