(Weight Watchers Friendly CrockPot Cooking Day 92)
Happy New Years Eve!
How are you planning to ring in the New Year?
We’re going out for an early dinner with mom and may very well be sleeping by midnight, which may seem boring, but is fine by me.
It just means that tomorrow morning I’ll get a jump on all the wonderful things 2014 holds in store, including lots of easy and delicious Weight Watchers friendly crock pot recipes.
Speaking of which…
I adapted this recipe for easy slow cooker shrimp curry from the one for “Hurry Curry” in the The I Hate to Cook Book, a fun read dating back to 1960 filled with all kinds of easy retro recipes.
Don’t confuse this easy slow cooker shrimp curry with anything closely resembling real Indian or Thai curry!
But that doesn’t make it any less tasty.
Creamy and comforting, it’s just the kind of recipe I was looking for late Saturday afternoon as I pondered what I could make in the slow cooker that wouldn’t require much time or effort.
I also needed a way to use up what remained from Christmas Eve’s ginormous (think Costco-size) shrimp cocktail platter.
As luck would have it, I even had the required can of cream of shrimp soup in the cupboard.
I can almost guarantee that Rod will love any retro recipe I make, especially if it involves a creamy sauce. This easy slow cooker shrimp curry served over rice was no exception. He went back for seconds. A sure sign of a winner 🙂
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can undiluted cream of Shrimp soup (or 1 can undiluted cream of celery or chicken soup)
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Chopped parsley, scallions, and/or peanuts for serving
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Place the onion, curry powder and butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes on high.
- Scrape the onion mixture into the slow cooker (I used my 2-quart). Add the soup, sour cream and shrimp. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, until heated through.
- Serve over rice, garnished with chopped scallions, parsley and peanuts, if desired.
Source: Adapted from The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition
*PointsPlus® for easy slow cooker shrimp curry calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked easy slow cooker shrimp curry you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.