(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day #7)
The first time I had chicken cacciatore was in little Italian restaurant in Boston back when I was in college.
I immediately fell in love.
This low fat slow cooker chicken cacciatore is a lot easier and healthier than the original.
But just as good, considering how easy it is. It’s always a hit when I make it.
For spicier flavor, add a pinch or two of crushed pepper flakes into your slow cooker along with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
I like to serve this low fat slow cooker chicken cacciatore over whole wheat pasta or with crusty bread for mopping up the sauce.
According to my calculations, each serving of this low fat slow cooker chicken cacciatore has 267 calories and *6 PointsPlus.
If you like a thicker sauce, you could always remove the chicken and then reduce the sauce a bit. Just turn up the slow cooker to high and let it bubble, uncovered for about 30 minutes. Then return the chicken to the slow cooker once the sauce is thickened to your liking.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 can (about 28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, celery, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. (Mine was done in 5 hours, so I flipped the setting to warm until dinnertime.)
If you liked this low fat slow cooker chicken cacciatore recipe, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.