(Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cooking, Day 24)
Here’s a delicious crock pot wild rice recipe that we all liked a lot.
I don’t think I ever ate wild rice until I started visiting Wisconsin, where it is very popular.
And even now, every time I taste it, I wonder why I don’t eat it more.
I got the idea to try crock pot wild rice, while re-arranging the pantry and finding a large package of it I had forgotten about
In addition to being delicious, wild rice is good for you. A Weight Watchers Power Food, it has more protein than quinoa.
The recipe for this crock pot wild rice is from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
I adapted it only slightly, using a combination of different colored mini bell peppers instead of just one color.
Each 1-cup serving of this yummy crock pot wild rice has 180 calories and *5 Weight Watchers Points Plus. I think this would work with the Simply Filling Technique too.
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced green, yellow or red bell pepper (I had a package of multi-colred mini peppers so I used a combination)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 cups fat free low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Layer the rice, mushrooms, onion, and pepper in the slow cooker (I used my 2-Quart.)
- Drizzle the olive oil over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the broth over the rice and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours OR on HIGH for 2-1/2 to 3 hours OR until rice and vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
My crockpot wild rice was done in about 4 hours, but my slow cooker definitely cooks hot, so yours may take longer.
Rice will get mushy if you hold it on WARM for too long in the slow cooker. So, as soon as my rice was tender and the liquid absorbed, I transferred it out of the crock pot and into a serving dish until dinnertime. I then just re-warmed individual servings in the microwave.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
If you liked this crock pot wild rice recipe, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.