I made this easy Spanish rice beans sausage dish recently for dinner.
I was looking for a quick and easy one pot meal I could make in minutes using ingredients I had on hand.
That’s not too much to ask, is it?
One secret for getting dinner on the table in minutes is having already cooked ingredients ready to go in the refrigerator: Rotisserie chicken. Grilled or roasted vegetables. Cooked rice. Fully cooked sausage links.
It’s one of the strategies they teach at Weight Watchers: Be prepared. If you’ve got healthy choices ready and waiting at home, it’s easier to avoid the drive-through.
Tonight I had about 3 cups of brown rice that needed to be used. And a can of kidney beans I opened by mistake earlier in the week thinking it was black beans. I also had couple links of fully cooked chicken sausage.
I sliced the chicken into thin rounds and tossed them into a large saucepan with the rice and rinsed and drained beans. Then I scrounged around the pantry and added a can of diced tomatoes (fennel and pepper flavored), a can of corn (rinsed and drained), and a few spices (chili powder, cumin and garlic powder).
I stirred everything together and let it heat through, about 5 minutes.
To dress it up a bit, I topped each serving with a little jarred salsa and dollop of light sour cream.
It worked. It was surprisingly tasty. Even Rod gave his approval and went back for seconds.
This easy Spanish rice beans sausage one pot meal is definitely something I’ll make again when I want dinner in a hurry with minimal effort.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) corn, drained
- 2 links of cooked chicken sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Jarred salsa, for serving (optional)
- Low Fat sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Place the rice, tomatoes, beans, corn, sausage, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper in a large saucepan. Stir to combine. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Top with salsa and/or sour cream if desired.
Source: This Spanish Rice Beans Sausage recipe is adapted from The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes
If you liked this recipe for easy Spanish rice beans sausage one pot meal, you might also like:
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.