Last Sunday, still jet lagged, I wanted something easy and comforting for dinner. I immediately thought, “crock pot” and decided to take a quick walk to the market to see what looked good. Beef roasts were on sale, so I grabbed a little one, along with a large onion, some red potatoes and few other things I needed.
Over coffee, I scanned a few cookbooks, looking for a slow cooker roast recipe to try. I opted for this one from from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker because it sounded easy and I had everything I needed.
Skinny on Company’s Coming Slow Cooker Roast
You just plop the meat in the slow cooker. Make a simple paste and rub it all over the roast. Then top it with sliced potatoes and onions. (I was a little concerned that the recipe didn’t call for any other liquid, or to sear the beef in a pan first, but decided to go with it.) Six hours later and voilÃ , a moist and fork-tender pot roast with potatoes, onions simmering in a thin flavorful gravy (thanks to the flour in the paste).
Served with a simple mixed green salad, it was just the kind of old-fashioned home-cooked meal I was craving after more than two weeks of restaurant food.
I was too tired to snap pictures on Sunday, so I took these of the leftovers Monday. Another great thing about pot roast is the leftovers!
According to my calculations each serving has 320 calories and *8 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 3 pound boneless pot roast (I used rump roast)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 potatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place the pot roast in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, mustard, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and sugar to make a paste. Spread all over the roast.
- Top with the potatoes and onions.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
Source: Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker roast calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pot Roasts
Skinny Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast (Simple Nourished Living)
Old Fashioned New England Pot Roast (Simple Nourished Living)
Yankee Pot Roast Dinner (Weight Watchers)
Slow Cooker Pot Roast (LaaLoosh)