These Weight Watchers Crackle Spice Drops are a lighter version of one of my favorite holiday cookies.
As soon as I saw them featured in next week’s Weight Watchers weekly, I knew I wanted to try them and I’m glad I did because they turned out really tasty. With less butter and sugar than a classic recipe, they baked up not-too-spicy and not-too-sweet. The perfect accompaniment to an afternoon cup of tea.
These crackle spice drops were very easy to make too. The recipe suggests that you chill the dough for about 30 minutes before rolling it into balls, which makes rolling easier.
A great addition to your holiday cookie tray, I think these also would make a nice homemade gift packed in a cellophane bag tied with raffia to which you attach an herbal tea bag or two.
- ½ cup soft reduced-calorie margarine
- ½ cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar for rolling
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven. Preheat your oven to 375. Line your baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment for easiest cleanup. Or use ungreased cookie sheets. You'll need at least 2.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- For best results place the cookie dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and then roll in the confectioners sugar to coat, making 36 cookies.
- Place the balls of cookie dough on the cookie sheets spaced at least 1 inch apart. Bake, one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven, until golden, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for a minute and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Cookie Recipes
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!