Sliced autumn pears and mesclun greens tossed with pear Dijon dressing topped with crunchy toasted walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola cheese. All I can say is YUM! I love a salad that’s as great tasting as it is good-for-you and this simple classic combination really delivers. It’s easy, healthy and delicious.
At this time of year, my mind typically goes straight to apples. But thanks to my participation with a group of bloggers working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients (by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine) I was reminded pear season and apple season coincide, so, now is a perfect time to enjoy them too.
Soft and sweet, pears are low in calories and packed with nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, making them a healthy and delicious addition to your diet.
I used a recipe for mesclun with pears and blue cheese from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook as the starting point for this salad, making a few modifications based on what was available (which I’ve noted in the recipe) with great results.
- 10 cups mesclun (mixed baby greens) or torn romaine
- 3 medium red and/or green pears, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pear nectar (I used baby pureed pear baby food instead)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or salad oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- ½ cup broken walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese (I used gorgonzola)
- In a large salad bowl place add the mesclun and pear slices and toss them gently to combine.
- To make the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the pear nectar, oil, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and pepper. Taste the dressing and if it seems to tart, add the optional honey.
- Cover and shake well. Drizzle over the salad and toss lightly to coat.
- Divide the salad evenly among 8 salad plates. Sprinkle each serving with the toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with pears. (If you are interested in joining us, contact Mireya at My Healthy Eating Habits. We’d love to have you join us.)
- Alyce - More Time at the Table
- Ansh - Spice Roots
- Jeanette - Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah - Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Chaya - My Sweet & Savory
- Minnie - The Lady 8 Home
More Weight Watcher’s Friendly Pear Recipes
Avocado Pear Smoothie
Crockpot Apple & Pear Fruit Compote (Everyday Maven)
Healthy Roasted Pears Snack (Snack Girl)
Breakfast Bulgur with Pears (Weight Watchers)
Glazed Pear Muffins (Weight Watchers)
Cranberry Pear Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
Prosciutto and Pear Stuffing (Laaloosh)
Autumn Salad with Pears & Gorgonzola (SkinnyTaste)