Healthy Broiled Pineapple with Candied Ginger Creme – A perfect healthy low calorie, low SmartPoints dessert for Weight Watchers!
(103 calories | *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
The latest issue of Weight Watchers Magazine (January/February 2016) has several recipes I can’t wait to try.
This one for Broiled Pineapple with Candied Ginger Creme is from an article on getting the most of winter’s bounty of fruits and vegetables.
It was just the inspiration I needed to to peel and core the fresh pineapple that had been sitting on the counter since being grabbed from the grocery store for $0.99 several days ago.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Healthy Broiled Pineapple with Candied Ginger Creme
Sweet and juicy, the pineapple would have been delicious topping cottage cheese for breakfast, or cut into chunks for a snack.
But a sprinkling of brown sugar and ground allspice before browning under the broiler made it dessert-worthy.
With just *2 Freestyle SmartPoints, this simple fruit-focused dessert is a great reminder that sweet treats don’t have to be chocolate to be good.
If the candied-ginger creme seems a little too strange, top with a tiny scoop, or two, (about 1/4 cup total) of your favorite sorbet instead for just 2 SmartPoints.
Next up, I’m looking forward to giving roasted grapes a try.
I think one of the keys to finding happiness on Weight Watcher’s New Beyond the Scale Program will be developing a new appreciation for healthy fruit-based desserts.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 103 calories, *3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this oven roasted pineapple dessert, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly dessert recipes including Strawberry Waffle Shortcake, Easy Candy Corn Fruit Parfaits, Sugar-Free Sliced Apple “Cookies”, WW No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits and Slow Cooker Bananas Foster Lightened Up
If you’ve made this broiled pineapple, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Weight Watchers Broiled Pineapple with Candied Ginger Creme Recipe
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 12 even rounds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large sprigs of mint (optional)
- Set your oven rack about 5 inches from the broiler. Preheat the broiler.
- While the broiler is heating, make the candied ginger creme by stirring together the yogurt and chopped candied ginger in a small bowl until well combined. Set it aside.
- Place 3 slices of the pineapple in each of 4 small (10-inch) oval oven-safe gratin/casserole dishes, overlapping the fruit slightly. Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar and allspice. (Alternatively you could arrange all the slices in one large casserole dish.)
- Broil the pineapple until bubbling and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Check once or twice to make sure the pineapple isn't getting too dark.
- Remove the pineapple from the oven.
- Top each dish with 1 rounded tablespoon of the yogurt/ginger mixture.
- Garnish with the mint, it using. Serve warm.
Source: Weight Watchers Magazine January/February 2016
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
In this video, Martha Stewart demonstrates how to make broiled grapefruit:
More Healthy Weight Watchers Friendly Dessert Recipes
- Weight Watchers Microwaved Baked Apple (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- 2-Ingredient Weight Watchers Pineapple Angel Food Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Pudding (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Grilled Peaches with Honey & Yogurt (SkinnyTaste)
- WW Fro-Yo Grapesicles (HungryGirl)
- Fruit Crisps (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Cheesy Cinnamon Baked Pears (EmilyBites)
Here’s a fun broiled pineapple recipe variation – watch how to make tropical broiled pineapple boats:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!