This week’s Weight Watcher’s Weekly included a link to this recipe for coconut hot cocoa to celebrate National Cocoa day (which they reported as 12/13, but turns out to be 12/12) that immediately got my attention. I’m a huge fan of both hot cocoa and coconut, but had never thought to combine the flavors.
So in honor of National Cocoa Day, I decided to treat myself to a cup. I ended up making several changes to the original recipe. I decreased the proportions to make only 1 serving instead of 4. And I used my favorite coconut milk beverage instead of a combination of skim milk and canned light coconut milk. To kick up the coconut flavor a bit, I added a little coconut extract. And I topped it with a little light whipped topping and a sprinkle of coconut, since it was a celebration, after all.
If you’re looking for more Weight Watchers friendly hot cocoa recipes, I’ve included a few links at the end of the post.
Weight Watchers Friendly Hot Cocoa to Celebrate National Cocoa Day
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk beverage
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons light whipped topping I used Reddiwip
- Sprinkle of coconut optional
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, water, cocoa and salt. Whisk in the coconut milk beverage and heat on medium, whisking often, until steaming and slightly bubbly around the edges.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut and vanilla extracts.
- Pour into a mug and top with 2 tablespoons light whipped topping and sprinkle of coconut if desired.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Cocoa Recipes
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!