Have you had Arroz con Pollo? Traditional Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) is popular throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. It's delicious.
This easy arroz con pollo is a quick and easy one-pot variation using leftover cooked chicken that can be made in about 30 minutes. It's from Weight Watchers Simply the Best: 250 Prizewinning Family Recipes , a cookbook I've been turning to regularly since the late '90s. (It shows the old points along with complete nutritional information.)
We had this Easy Arroz on Pollo for supper on Sunday using leftover rotisserie chicken from Costco. It was simple to make and very yummy.
I didn't have the can of tomatoes with green chiles called for, so I substituted salsa instead. It turned out flavorful but not spicy and the servings were generous.
Served with Caesar salad, this easy arroz con pollo made a satisfying meal. And there was plenty left for a quick and easy lunch Monday.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Mexican Chicken with Rice?
According to my calculations each serving has about 348 calories.
If you've made this Mexican-inspired chicken with rice, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Easy Arroz Con Pollo
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles (or substitute 1-¼ cups salsa like I did)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped cooked skinless chicken
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the rice, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring as needed, until the onion is softened and the rice is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring a couple of times, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped cooked chicken and peas and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fluff the mixture with a fork before serving.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this arroz con pollo you might also like:
- Easy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Rotisserie Chicken Wild Rice Salad
- Chicken Vegetable Rice Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!