Have you had Arroz con Pollo? Traditional Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) is popular throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. It’s delicious.
This easy arroz con pollo is a quick and easy one-pot variation using leftover cooked chicken that can be made in about 30 minutes. It’s from Weight Watchers’ Simply the Best : 250 Prizewinning Family Recipes, a cookbook I’ve been turning to regularly since the late ’90s. (It shows the old points. You can easily calculate the new PointsPlus Values since all the recipes include complete nutritional information.)
Skinny on Weight Watchers Easy Arroz Con Pollo
We had this Easy Arroz on Pollo for supper on Sunday using leftover rotisserie chicken from Costco. It was simple to make and very yummy.
I didn’t have the can of tomatoes with green chiles called for, so I substituted salsa instead. It turned out flavorful but not spicy and the servings were generous.
Served with Caesar salad, this easy arroz con pollo made a satisfying meal. And there was plenty left for a quick and easy lunch Monday.
According to my calculations each serving has *9 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles (or substitute 1-1/4 cups salsa like I did)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped cooked skinless chicken
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the rice, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring as needed, until the onion is softened and the rice is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring a couple of times, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped cooked chicken and peas and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fluff the mixture with a fork before serving.
This makes 4 hearty portions of easy arroz con pollo. Since I didn't have a can of tomatoes and chiles, I substituted 1-1/4 cups fresh salsa I had in the fridge instead with good results.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this arroz con pollo recipe you might also like:
If you liked this easy arroz con pollo, check out my latest ebook filled with lots of easy, healthy Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes using leftover rotisserie chicken available on Amazon:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.