Here’s my weekly weigh in, a recap of what I’ve posted this week, recipes and articles on other websites and blogs that I’ve bookmarked, a brief assessment and reflection of the week, and my plan and motivational quote for the upcoming week.
I find it helpful to pause, assess, and reflect and do a little planning each week. It helps keep me on track and moving forward.
This was another busy one with Weight Watchers. This week’s topic was “Eat What You Love” which stimulated lots of good discussion. A key to sustainable weight loss is to figure out how to eat your favorite foods in controlled ways so you don’t feel deprived and end up going on a binge.
Through the years I’ve transitioned away from lots of “diet” foods back to smaller portions of high quality real foods that I love as I continue to pay attention to what really gives me pleasure. (More on this in a future post.)
My sister and brother-in-law and their two dogs have been with us since Wednesday morning, which has been lots of fun but taken me out of my regular routine, always a good thing every now and again.
On Simple Nourished Living This Week:
Artichoke Tomato Salad – simple artichoke salad with tomatoes, olives and cheese (2 PointsPlus Value)
Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie – A Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie crust, topped with a layer of real whipped cream, drizzle of chocolate mint sauce and sprinkling of Thin Mint Cookie crumbs (4 PointsPlus value)
My Eating Habits Before Weight Watchers – A trip down memory lane into the eating habits that led me to pack on the pounds
Chilled Asparagus Soup with Spinach & Avocado – a quick, easy and healthy no-cook soup (3 PointsPlus Value)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
What I Bookmarked This Week:
Weight Watchers friendly recipes and tips from other blogs and websites that I liked and found helpful and thought you would too:
Chocolate Cherry Crunchy Bites – crisp rice cereal, dried cherries and dark chocolate. Yum (Everyday Maven)
87 Calorie Mini Cheesecakes – turn just a few ingredients into mini individual portioned cheesecakes (Snack Girl)
Quinoa Anzac Biscuits – with quinoa flakes and flour, a cookie I can’t wait to try as soon as the weather cools a bit (Enlightened Cooking)
Watermelon Salsa – a fun and healthy salsa perfect for topping grilled chicken or fish (Prevention RD)
Chocolate Chia Almond Pudding – dairy free and sugar free (Sugar Free Mom)
What’s On the Menu Next Week:
I don’t plan out a week’s worth of menus at a time. I tried and it just didn’t work for me. Life and my appetite are too erratic to plan more than a day or two at a time. But I do keep a running list of recipes I want to try posted on my cookbook holder in the kitchen. Here’s what’s on it at the moment:
- Mom’s Favorite Pasta Salad
- Quinoa Corn Salad
- Avocado Pear Smoothie
- Chicken White Bean Salsa Soup
- Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Mint
The Good & Not So Good This Week:
- Met my goal of trying 2 new healthy recipes, one really healthy and the other a splurge: Chilled Artichoke Soup with Spinach and Avocado and Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie
- Didn’t meet activity goals of walking Francie 6 days and getting on my yoga mat most days – the heat and having guests took me out of my routine. That’s okay, tomorrow is a new day.
- Led 6 successful Weight Watchers meetings and was a receptionist at 3 more.
- Ate out more than usual with family in town but did pretty good job managing portions and stopping when full. Snacking a lot less than I use to. Tried the new Luna Fiber Bar (3 PointsPlus value and liked it.)
My Expectations and Plans for the Coming Week:
- Get ready for this week’s meetings. The topic is Surviving Summer BBQs. Have compiled a nice list of tips, many of them from comments on my Facebook page.
- Track my food and activity everyday.
- Walk Francie for 30 minutes at least 6 days this week and spend at least 20 minutes on my yoga mat at least 4 days.
- Try at least 2 new healthy recipes.
- Blog at least 4 days.
- Begin compiling recipes for my next e-cookbook.
- Have lunch with mom at least 2 times.
Quote For the Week:
Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it or work around it.” — Michael Jordan
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.