Here's my weekly weigh in, a recap of what I’ve posted this week, recipes and articles on other websites and blogs that I’ve bookmarked, a brief assessment and reflection of the week, and my plan and motivational quote for the upcoming week.
I find it helpful to pause, assess, and reflect and do a little planning each week. It helps keep me on track and moving forward.
This was another busy one with Weight Watchers. This week's topic was "Eat What You Love " which stimulated lots of good discussion. A key to sustainable weight loss is to figure out how to eat your favorite foods in controlled ways so you don't feel deprived and end up going on a binge.
Through the years I've transitioned away from lots of "diet" foods back to smaller portions of high quality real foods that I love as I continue to pay attention to what really gives me pleasure. (More on this in a future post.)
My sister and brother-in-law and their two dogs have been with us since Wednesday morning, which has been lots of fun but taken me out of my regular routine, always a good thing every now and again.
On Simple Nourished Living This Week:
Artichoke Tomato Salad - simple artichoke salad with tomatoes, olives and cheese (2 PointsPlus Value)
Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie - A Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie crust, topped with a layer of real whipped cream, drizzle of chocolate mint sauce and sprinkling of Thin Mint Cookie crumbs (4 PointsPlus value)
My Eating Habits Before Weight Watchers - A trip down memory lane into the eating habits that led me to pack on the pounds
Chilled Asparagus Soup with Spinach & Avocado - a quick, easy and healthy no-cook soup (3 PointsPlus Value)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
What I Bookmarked This Week:
Weight Watchers friendly recipes and tips from other blogs and websites that I liked and found helpful and thought you would too:
Chocolate Cherry Crunchy Bites - crisp rice cereal, dried cherries and dark chocolate. Yum (Everyday Maven)
87 Calorie Mini Cheesecakes - turn just a few ingredients into mini individual portioned cheesecakes (Snack Girl)
Quinoa Anzac Biscuits - with quinoa flakes and flour, a cookie I can't wait to try as soon as the weather cools a bit (Enlightened Cooking)
Watermelon Salsa - a fun and healthy salsa perfect for topping grilled chicken or fish (Prevention RD)
Chocolate Chia Almond Pudding - dairy free and sugar free (Sugar Free Mom)
What's On the Menu Next Week:
I don't plan out a week's worth of menus at a time. I tried and it just didn't work for me. Life and my appetite are too erratic to plan more than a day or two at a time. But I do keep a running list of recipes I want to try posted on my cookbook holder in the kitchen. Here's what's on it at the moment:
- Mom's Favorite Pasta Salad
- Quinoa Corn Salad
- Avocado Pear Smoothie
- Chicken White Bean Salsa Soup
- Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Mint
The Good & Not So Good This Week:
- Met my goal of trying 2 new healthy recipes, one really healthy and the other a splurge: Chilled Artichoke Soup with Spinach and Avocado and Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie
- Didn't meet activity goals of walking Francie 6 days and getting on my yoga mat most days - the heat and having guests took me out of my routine. That's okay, tomorrow is a new day.
- Led 6 successful Weight Watchers meetings and was a receptionist at 3 more.
- Ate out more than usual with family in town but did pretty good job managing portions and stopping when full. Snacking a lot less than I use to. Tried the new Luna Fiber Bar (3 PointsPlus value and liked it.)
My Expectations and Plans for the Coming Week:
- Get ready for this week's meetings. The topic is Surviving Summer BBQs. Have compiled a nice list of tips, many of them from comments on my Facebook page.
- Track my food and activity everyday.
- Walk Francie for 30 minutes at least 6 days this week and spend at least 20 minutes on my yoga mat at least 4 days.
- Try at least 2 new healthy recipes.
- Blog at least 4 days.
- Begin compiling recipes for my next e-cookbook.
- Have lunch with mom at least 2 times.
Quote For the Week:
Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it or work around it." -- Michael Jordan
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!