(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 40 – Smoky Roasted Pepper Crock Pot Strata)
Perfect for Meatless Monday, this light yet hearty crock pot strata makes a satisfying breakfast, lunch, brunch or supper.
Adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2 , I recently made a half batch which yielded 4 generous cup-plus servings. And made a few other modifications to this crock pot strata to suit our tastes and avoid a trip to the grocery store.
I cut back on the amount of minced chipotle pepper from a tablespoon to a teaspoon. Substituted reduced fat pepper jack cheese for full fat Monterey Jack. And though roasted red bell peppers would have been prettier, I opted to use the jar of yellow roasted peppers I had in the pantry.
According the the recipe’s “Why This Works” notes, the key to making a crock pot strata with great texture is using stale baguette pieces, so I cubed the bread early in the day and let it sit out on the counter for several hours to dry out.
Don’t let your crock pot strata cook longer than 4 hours or it will get dried out and rubbery.
This smoky roasted pepper crock pot strata is definitely something I plan on making again. It’s a versatile recipe you can modify to suit your tastes and what you have around. Artichoke hearts, broccoli, spinach, ham and bacon would all be tasty additions.
If you’ve made this crock pot strata, please give the recipe a star (★) rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Smoky Roasted Pepper Crock Pot Strata
- 1/2 stale baguette cut into 1-inch pieces (9-inches or 9 ounces of baguette)
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted peppers patted dry and chopped
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Line a slow cooker with an aluminum foil collar** and spray with vegetable oil spray. (I used my 2-Quart. A 2 to 3-1/2-Quart should work. If you only have a large slow cooker, you may want to make this in a baking dish that fits inside your slow cooker instead.)
- Spread half of the bread cubes in the prepared slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese, half of the roasted peppers and 1/3 of the scallions.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, remaining roasted peppers, and half of the remaining scallions.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chipotle chile, salt and pepper until well blended. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Press gently on the bread to submerge it. Cover and cool on LOW until the center of the crock pot strata is set, 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover and let the strata cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.
- Cooking Note: To speed up the staling of my bread. I cut up the baguette into cubes and let it sit out on the counter for several hours.
- **To make an aluminum slow cooker foil collar, fold sheets of heavy duty foil until you have a six-layred foil rectangle (12 x 4) for a small slow cooker and 16 x 4 for a large slow cooker. Press the collar into the back of the slow cooker insert. The food will help hold the collar in place during cooking and will prevent the food from cooking unevenly!
Source: Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this smoky roasted pepper crock pot strata you might also like:
Here’s what I used to make this easy and delicious crock pot strata!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!