Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Squash Apple Soup
(164 calories | *2 WW SmartPoints)
This creamy delicious slow cooker squash apple soup is perfect for fall. And would be a beautiful start to Thanksgiving dinner.
Brimming with squash and apples, it’s not only good, it’s good for you too. Creamy and satisfying, it’s hard to believe there’s no cream in this slow cooker squash apple soup. A little bit of yogurt adds richness without fat and also brightens the sweetness of the squash.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Squash Apple Soup
There are lots of sweet spice options that would work well with this soup: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, curry powder and even a chai tea bag.
But I decided to go in a more savory direction, opting for sage and thyme.
The most difficult part of this slow cooker squash apple soup recipe is peeling and cutting the butternut squash. If you are not sure what to do, here is a great tutorial for How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash from Elise at Simply Recipes. I’ve also included a video at the end of the post.
According to my calculations each generous 1-1/2 cup serving of this creamy and delicious slow cooker apple squash apple soup has 164 calories and *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *2 SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Squash Apple Soup Recipe Variations
Other spices that would work in this creamy slow cooker squash apple soup:
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 – 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 – 2 teaspoons curry powder
- A chai tea bag (removed before serving)
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Squash Apple Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slow Cooker Squash Apple Soup Recipe
- 1 butternut squash, about 3 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- In a slow cooker, stir together the squash, apples, onion, broth, apple juice, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until squash is tender.
- Carefully, puree small batches of the soup in your blender, until smooth. Be sure to fill the blender not more than two-thirds full and hold the cover of your blender in place with a folded dish towel to prevent it from exploding and burning you with hot soup! Pulse quickly a few times before blending continuously.
- Return the pureed soup to your slow cooker.
- Stir in the maple syrup and yogurt.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and top each with a heaping tablespoon of the shredded cheese or chives, if desired.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 - 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 - 2 teaspoons curry powder
- a chai tea bag
Recipe source: adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna Marie Pye
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash:
If you like this slow cooker squash apple soup you might also like:
- Easy Chai Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup
- 8 Skinny Healthy Pumpkin Soup Recipes
- Sweet Potato Tomato Soup
- Skinny Sweet Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!