Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Honey Mustard Orange Slow Cooker Spiral Cut Ham
I made this easy, delicious honey mustard orange slow cooker spiral cut ham for Christmas Eve with the family.
In the past, I’ve always baked ham in the oven according to the package directions, occasionally using the sugary glaze that comes with the ham and sometimes making one from scratch.
But of course, this year I wanted to make it a slow cooker spiral cut ham.
The Skinny on Crockpot Fully Cooked Spiral Cut Ham
So I adapted this recipe for Citrus Honey Ham from A Year of Slow Cooking, using a fully cooked, bone in spiral cut ham. It was easy and delicious.
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Spiral Cut Ham
According to my calculations, each 3-ounce serving (without additional glaze) has about 140 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Cook Ham in a Crock Pot
Cooking a ham in the crock pot is easy:
- Unwrap the ham and place in the slow cooker flat side down.
- Cover the ham with your glaze or seasonings.
- Place cover on the slow cooker. (If your lid won't fit, make one from heavy duty aluminum foil, wrapping it tightly around the top of your slow cooker.)
- Cook on LOW until the ham is thoroughly heated. This should take about 4 to 6 hours depending in your crockpot.
- Remove from the slow cooker and let ham stand on a cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing.
How Do You Warm Up A Precooked Ham?
There are two basic ways to warm up a pre-cooked ham. First you can do it in a slow cooker which we describe here in our recipe. Or, in a foil-covered pan in the oven at 275F degrees for 20 minutes per pound - just until warmed through.
How Do You Keep A Spiral Ham From Drying Out?
The key to keeping a spiral ham from drying out is to not overheat it. That's why I like the slow cooker method. It provides a gentle moist heat that's less prone to overcooking and drying out.
How Do You Cut A Spiral Ham?
A spiral cut ham is already pre-sliced around the bone. To remove the slices:
- Place the ham so the cut side is facing out.
- With your knife, cut in and around the bone.
- The ham slices will fall away from the bone.
Here's a helpful video demonstrating how to cut a spiral ham...
Fully Cooked Spiral Cut Ham Glaze Suggestions and Variations:
When you are preparing a fully cooked, bone-in, cured, spiral cut ham, it's already cooked. So you are just adding flavor with the addition of a glaze and then heating it until it's warm, being careful not to overcook it and dry it out. There are a variety of ways to top/glaze your ham. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Dijon Maple Glaze: ½ cup maple syrup, ½ cup dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Brown Sugar & Preserves: ½ cup pineapple preserves, ½ cup seedless raspberry jam, ¼ cup packed brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Sweet Honey Mustard: 3 Tbsp sweet hot honey mustard (or brown mustard with honey), 2 Tbsp brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Orange Mustard Glaze: 6 garlic cloves (minced), 8 ½ ounces orange marmalade, ½ cup Dijon mustard, 1 cup light brown sugar, packed, 1 orange, zested, ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
If you've made this Slow Cooker Spiral Ham, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crockpot Spiral Cut Ham with Orange Honey Mustard Glaze
- 1 6-to-7-pound bone-in spiral cut fully cooked ham
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup ginger ale
- You'll need a large a (6 to 7-quart slow cooker).
- Unwrap the ham and place it in your slow cooker (flat side down).
- Discard the flavor packet.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and orange juice. Rub the mixture all over the ham.
- Pour ginger ale evenly over the top of the ham.
- Cover. (If your lid won't fit, make one from heavy duty aluminum foil, wrapping it tightly around the top of your slow cooker.)
- Cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the ham is thoroughly heated.
- Remove from the slow cooker and let stand on a cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Source: A Year of Slow Cooking
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker spiral cut ham, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!