(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 126)
I hate feeling rushed, especially first thing in the morning.
So, I try to give myself plenty of time between getting up and heading out for my private yoga appointments.
One strategy that can really help save time in the morning is to have breakfast ready and waiting in the slow cooker.
I’ve made several variations of slow cooker oatmeal during the past few months that have been pretty good.
But it seemed like time to experiment with other grains, so when I came across a recipe for slow cooker multigrain cereal, I decided to give it a try.
The combination of pearl barley, steel-cut oats, and quinoa sounded interesting.
I stirred together the ingredients and then let it cook away on warm (because my slow cooker cooks hot) overnight. In the morning, I awoke to a perfectly cooked batch of slow cooker multigrain cereal.
Topped with a bit of brown sugar, diced fresh pears, dried cranberries and a drizzle of maple syrup, it was a delicious nutritious way to start the day.
The recipe makes 6 servings, each with *3 Points Plus, providing plenty of leftovers to rewarm during the week. To make this work with Simply Filling, use your “Indulgence Points” for any brown sugar and/or maple syrup (or other non-calorie sweetener) you add.
Slow Cooker Multigrain Cereal
- 3 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1-inch piece fresh peeled ginger, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons pearl barley
- 6 tablespoons steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa rinsed well
- Fresh fruit for serving if desired (diced mango, pineapple, pears, fresh berries, etc.)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2-Quart
- Combine the almond milk, water, vanilla, ginger and salt in your slow cooker. Stir in the barley, oats and quinoa, Cover and cook on low until the grains are very soft, 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove the ginger. Serve topped with 1/4 cup fresh fruit.
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker multigrain cereal calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Source: adapted from Weight Watchers Family Style Cookbook
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!