Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Pasta Salad with Ham & Peas
I made this yummy lighter, healthier peas and ham pasta salad a couple of Sundays ago.
It made a big batch, enough for several weekday meals and sharing with Mom.
Taking the time to cook a few dishes ahead on Sunday makes getting dinner on the table during the week so much easier and helps keep me on track with my weight maintenance.
Most of the time I opt for pasta salads made with vinaigrette, since I automatically think of them as lighter and healthier.
But it’s possible to make a lighter, healthier pasta salad with creamy dressing too, as this peas and ham pasta salad proves.
Skinny on Peas and Ham Pasta Salad
There’s a great article in this month’s (June 2013) issue of EatingWell with a step-by-step guide to making healthier pasta salads.
I opted to try the Peas and Ham Pasta Salad with Creamy Buttermilk Dressing, since I had all the ingredients needed on-hand.
Packed with with protein and vegetables – mushrooms, peas, onion, diced ham, chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped Cheddar cheese – and tossed in a creamy buttermilk dill dressing, it was satisfying and delicious.
According to my calculations each serving has 236 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this easy pasta salad with ham & peas, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Pasta Salad with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Arugula, Easy Chicken Satay Pasta Salad, Enlightened Classic Macaroni Salad and Trisha Yearwood’s Orzo Salad Made Lighter
If you’ve made this pasta salad with ham and peas, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Skinny Peas & Ham Pasta Salad Recipe
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat elbow pasta
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1-3/4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese
For the Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- In a large bowl combine the pasta, mushrooms, peas, onion, ham, eggs and cheese.
- In a medium bowl mash the clove of garlic and salt into a paste. Whisk in the buttermilk, mayonnaise, dill and vinegar until smooth.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch as The Domestic Geek shares 5 healthy pasta salad recipes:
More Pasta Salad Recipes Made Lighter:
- Avocado BLT Pasta Salad (EmilyBites)
- Chilled Italian Shrimp Tortellini Pasta Salad (SkinnyTaste)
- Loaded Veggie Pasta Salad with Sweet Basil Vinaigrette (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad (EmilyBites)
- Zucchini-Noodle “Pasta” Salad (HungryGirl)
- 5-Minute Pea & Arugula Pasta Salad (EatYourselfSkinny)
This video shows how easy it is to make a variation of this pasta salad with tuna:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!